D300 noise between 200 and 400iso?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Nuteshack, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i've heard about this quirk from several photogs now and just wondering if it's camera specific or something most of u d300 users are experiencing????

thanks for your replies
    :cool: 

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nothing scientific, just some observations, but I now skip from 200 straight to 800 even with noise reduction set to low or normal. The in camera CPU seems to apply some noise reduction even at ISO 800 that I like, even with NR on low in camera.

I don't know how to explain it, but I see it also in blue skies at ISO 400, 640, but not as much at 800 until 1600 again.

So I just jump from 200-800 and don't worry about it.

Note, this is only visible on big crops on dark shadows, and or blue skies with big crops and most folks probably won't notice it at all.

I notice it indoors too on stage work.

so, that is my observation. I really like the nikon NR even when shooting Raw, low or normal, Does a nice job.

3. It's a matter of taste. I find the D300 sharpest at ISO 400, but it is a little edgy. ISO 200 is clean and smooth with slightly less detail, ISO 800 looks similar with a significant loss of detail.

4. I just got my D300 last week and I can't believe the amount of low ISO noise. I shot a house and the clear blue sky was saturated with crappy noise. Looked like it was shot at ISO1600 on my old D60.

Part of my problem is likely using LR2 for raw processing. However, when I view the image in NX the noise is still there... it just looks smeared.

To rid the noise I have to adjust the noise removal slider in LightRoom2 to 100%... yay!

I am upset... I searched the forums and a lot of people just seem to have this "live with it" attitude... I just dropped $1700 cdn on a camera where I have to deal with processing noise at base ISO?

I beginning to think there is something wrong with my piece.

5. In NX try switching the NR to "better quality".

6. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Up to ISO800 the D300 has noticeably worse noise than the D200 .. which may force me to hold on to my D200 for low ISO shots.

7. I see it in long exposures in the sky on nightshots of cityscapes.

8. Maybe we should all Email Nikon and let them know so they'll do a firmware update to clear out the noise. :smile:

9. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia

I am sure they are aware of this issue, but doing something about it .. I wouldn't hold my breath :confused: 

10. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

:eek: 

Uhhhhh..............noooooooooo

Are you under exposing?

11. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

According to my measurement on raw data, the D300 has lower noise than the D200 at low ISOs.

It would be interesting to see such raw files, which exhibit the opposite.

12. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia

Not at all ... I find that my D300 isn't anywhere near the IQ at anything less than ISO800. It's a different ballgame at ISO800 and over, however; and this is where my D300 excells.

From your post, are you suggesting that the D300 is better than the D200 at lower ISO? If so, I will be happily surprised ... just tell me where I may be going wrong. I am new with the D300, so may be I am not getting my settings right?!!

13. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia

OK, now I am seriously happy to hear this .. and worried that I may be doing something wrong, or that there may be something wrong with my D300!

However, I do recall reading that the D300's noise - at low ISO - isn't that good .. and seeing this in my D300's performance didn't surprise me; but now I am begining to question this.

I think I will do a side-by-side test myself tomorrow morning. My D200 is currently at Nikon for service, once it's back I will do this to put my mind to rest.

Meanwhile, nuteshack, take my post on the D300 with a grain of salt (if I may say this about my own post) .. until I can double check my settings & exposure.

14. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

No problems with mine I posted many low ISo pics on this forum.

15. Not me.

On a night cityscape of about 15sec F/11 iso 200, I see a lot of grain/noise in the sky.

16. This may be a poor answer, but the noise that you see will never make it to print or web display anyway. So I wouldn't worry about it.

17. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Not that good compared to what? It is certainly not as good as the D3. At ISO 200 it is slightly better than my Canon 40D (while the 40D is slightly better @ ISO 1600).

I guess the D90 reflects that Nikon has enhanced the technology in the past year.

It is not important, that you shoot the same scenery, same lens, etc. However, you should find something with smooth, unicolored, evenly lit surfaces in the very darks; then the noise can be measured and compared.

And, of course I mean raw.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  18. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I Don't See Detail Loss at ISO 800

I am so pleased wityh ISO 800 that. I frequently just leave it there during a shoot.

Keep in mind that I use no in camera NR other than what Nikon apparently does behind the scenes that I cannot access to turn off.

Honestly, I see just as much detail and far prefer the output of 500-800 over the 200-400 range.

After 800, I do absolutely encounter detail loss in fine details however.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Long Exposures at Night

Turn on long exposure NR...it works wonders. What it does is simple dark frame comparison and resultant NR by means of subtraction.

It does however, effctively double your shot time.

20. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Do you understand, that ISO 800 reduces the dynamic range by about 1.5 EV, compared to ISO 200?

Higher ISO is not only about noise but about clipping the bright end, one EV for each ISO stop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.