D300 - Now or Wait?

My D50 has served me very well, but I'm beginning to out grow the camera. Looking really hard at the D300, but it's a little bit more of a reach then I'm comfortable with right now. Is there anything coming in the near future that may drive down the price of the D300? To me it appears the high ISO capability of the 300 or the 200 makes it a better choice? The ebay shop that sells refurbished units is getting about $1,200 for refurbished with 1 yr warranty. I keep my stuff for long periods of time and take very good care of it, so this would be around for several years.

Now is a great time to buy a D300 used or refurb if you want one, although I wouldn't be counting on any miracles with the high ISO performance.

I was in a similar position to you. I got my D50 in Dec 2005. About 6 months ago I decided it would be a good time to upgrade. Due to financial considerations I ended up getting a used D200 off ebay for around $700 (mint cond). I figured a lot of what I learn from the D200 will transfer well to the D300. So in another 6-9 months I will look at a new D300.....hoping the price will be around $1000.

B&H sells new D200s for $799 and good used ones can be had for around $500-600 on ebay, or the other used forums.

though....if shooting in high ISO is critical to you...the D200 may not be a good choice.

....As long as you know what P M A S do, you'll be fine there ain't no green A. :biggrin:

High ISO works great in 300, Noise Reduction and D-lightingdon;t work so well so I leve them off, and do all of that in PP.

....As long as you know what P M A S do, you'll be fine there ain't no green A. :biggrin:

High ISO works great in 300, Noise Reduction and D-lightingdon;t work so well so I leve them off, and do all of that in PP.

Guess I haven't been posting many pics here lately, LOL.

There is rarely ever a good answer to the wait or buy question, unless your old camera just fell overboard, or the rumor mill has heated up to the point that a new model is almost certain. Neither is the case here.

I like my D300. I also think the D90 is worth a look. The current us price for a body is around $860.

Just bought a refurbed d300 from Cameta for $1075. It was a live auction (not a 'buy it now') which was the only way I could get one without the extras they put in their kits. I only put in one bid and was surprised to win. Waiting anxiously for its arrival.

But as far as your question...if you can afford it, go for it. The price may come down or something new might come along...but meanwhile you've had your new camera and have been using it and "taking your work to a new level" as 0dBm said.

P

Pianisimo

^I did the same thing, got it for under $1100 through Cameta auctions. I also stepped up from the D50, and it's definitely worth it. The D50 has very impressive high-ISO performance in general, so I wasn't expecting all that much from the D300...but it's truely at another level. Go for it!

I think that if you are ready, go for it. Look at all of the missed opportunities while you wait for a better deal. Besides, once you buy, the price is certain to drop, and you will have unwittingly helped another Nikon shooter. :wink:

I would say wait if you were trying to save for a D700. Go ahead and get the D300 if you need something now. Just don't expect significant improvement in high iso if low light photography is what you are after.

hmm, D400??? That might put some downward pressure on a 300 :)

Went into my local Brick and Mortar store today, what an awful experience that was :( I'm writing a snail letter to the store it was so bad. Basically dissed because I was not buying today and dared to ask if they knew of any upcoming rebates. I've spent almost $1k for lenses in the last six months... But I whine :(

My D50 has served me very well, but I'm beginning to out grow the camera. Looking really hard at the D300, but it's a little bit more of a reach then I'm comfortable with right now. Is there anything coming in the near future that may drive down the price of the D300? To me it appears the high ISO capability of the 300 or the 200 makes it a better choice? The ebay shop that sells refurbished units is getting about $1,200 for refurbished with 1 yr warranty. I keep my stuff for long periods of time and take very good care of it, so this would be around for several years.

Get it now. I also have the D50 and felt the same way. I'm keeping the D50 but I LOVE my D300. There is just no comparison. Look around for a used one. I know how you feel as I know the D300 and I are going to be together for a very long time. This camera is amazing!

Carole

hmm, D400??? That might put some downward pressure on a 300 :)

Went into my local Brick and Mortar store today, what an awful experience that was :( I'm writing a snail letter to the store it was so bad. Basically dissed because I was not buying today and dared to ask if they knew of any upcoming rebates. I've spent almost $1k for lenses in the last six months... But I whine :(

That's why I stay away from local camera stores. Unfortunately, they are all on commission, and if you are not buying today, they don't want to know you. Look around the net...Canoga had a good price a couple of weeks ago if you want a new one. Otherwise, Cameta has refurbs on eBay, and B&H often has used ones and refurbs as well. Just stay away from those bait and switch places. If the price seems too good to be true, it is.

Carole

Here you go, Mark :)

Thus far all we've had here is FOG, FOG, RAIN, and more FOG. I did shoot this one this morning as I've never seen the fog behind my apartment so dense! There is actually another apartment building just beyond those trees :))) I felt like I was living in the middle of the "Legend of Boggy Creek"! (And if you remember that movie, you are a real science fiction buff :)))

CEM_2999.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They have promised us SUNSHINE by the weekend!

Carole
A Woman in Love with her D300 :Love:

That's why I stay away from local camera stores. Unfortunately, they are all on commission, and if you are not buying today, they don't want to know you. Look around the net...Canoga had a good price a couple of weeks ago if you want a new one. Otherwise, Cameta has refurbs on eBay, and B&H often has used ones and refurbs as well. Just stay away from those bait and switch places. If the price seems too good to be true, it is.

Carole

My D50 came from Canoga :) This store has a history of attitude, and I actually wrote about it little over a year ago. One of their managers and I had several chats, here and in person. They had four stores, all but one has closed, and that store went from a variety of products to only focusing on cameras. I hate seeing a business close, but with their attitude, it won't be long. I have to wait at least one more week, so I'll see if there's any market shift on the product pricing.

My D50 came from Canoga :) This store has a history of attitude, and I actually wrote about it little over a year ago. One of their managers and I had several chats, here and in person. They had four stores, all but one has closed, and that store went from a variety of products to only focusing on cameras. I hate seeing a business close, but with their attitude, it won't be long. I have to wait at least one more week, so I'll see if there's any market shift on the product pricing.

Yea, I kind of got that impression when I read reviews on them that said they refused to give people tracking numbers for their orders. I mean, if I'm spending over $1000, I think I'm entitled to know when the package will arrive so I can be here. That's ridiculous. But they did have the best price on a new D300 when I was looking. Keep looking around, stores have to start taking inventory soon, so maybe they'll have a sale to get rid of stock on hand :)

Carole

Latest threads

Top Bottom