D300 Owner, what is your High ISO NR settings

Low, Normal, High or OFF? and please explain why you choose this settings. Thanks for looking.

Off

I usually shoot with NR set to off. I do shoot RAW and prefer to do any noise reduction in post processing. Besides, when opening RAW files in Capture, it seems that in-camera NR on causes Captur NX to be slower.

I heared that for jpg shooter the recomended setting is low. It's supposed to do an OK job without smudging details too much.

I typically use Low. I've found, since this feature was introduced a few years ago, that this tends to provide a good amount of chroma NR while leaving me with some filmlike luminance noise and more detail. I can then reduce further in post.
If i'm outputting to a smaller size with no time for post processing, I'll occasionally shoot Normal.

Off, I shoot in RAW and let my DxO correct noise.

For raw use, I couldn't agree more. Leave it off, and buy DxO if for no other reason than to do the noise reduction, which it does superbly and automatically.

When I shoot jpeg, I sometimes set it on low...but even at this setting it does tend to rob faces of detail.

I thank you for sharing your experience, I left mine on normal, that's why when I shoot ISO 2000 the image looks a bit weird, but if I set the sharpness +5 will this produce lots of noise if I turn off the NR off?

T

tintingkc

I leave it off but shoot raw as well. I do 90% of my shooting in low light and would rather deal with noise in pp. I just don't trust a camera to nail down noise reduction in a clean manner.

G

Gary Mayo

I use different settings depending on what look I want to produce. Removing noise also removes detail, so I proceed slowly.

I have it on, set to "Low". I find that a little NR is needed at ISO 1600, but "Normal" and "High" are too aggressive.

I shoot raw so I can change the settings later, but usually the low setting does a good job.

Cheers

Mike

Real Name
David
Off for RAW and Normal for JPeg shooting.

But I can't remember, if you shoot RAW + JPeg is the noise reduction something that can be turned off in post for the RAW file or is the file in some way changed?

is NR applied to a RAW file?

i always thought that a RAW files are untouched by the camera settings.

i use ACR to open the RAW file initially and never really noticed any differences in the settings.

is NR applied to a RAW file?

i always thought that a RAW files are untouched by the camera settings.

i use ACR to open the RAW file initially and never really noticed any differences in the settings.

Nikon software will read the in-camera NR settings and apply the appropriate amount, which you can adjust in Capture NX 1/2, along with the other camera settings.

ACR cannot read the camera settings for NR. By default ACR has color NR of 25 as default for everything, but I usually create a new default with 0.

Real Name
Randy
off...i prefer to do it in PP but rarely if ever need to since i won't go over 1200 on the d300

Latest threads

Top Bottom