D300 pop-up flash problem

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by emilgil, Aug 12, 2008.

1. emilgil

emilgil

Jul 20, 2008
    Sweden
    I bought my D300 a few months ago during a local campaign and I've been more than happy with it so far but the other day I realized the flash wasn't firing. I was going to take a couple of pictures of my cousin and his newborn daughter so I pushed the open button on the side of the camera, focused and pressed the trigger. The shutter snapped as it should but no flash even though the lightmeter said something like 1/60 f/5.6.

Yesterday I tried the same, opened the flash and activated the light meter, only to realize that I had forgotten to remove the lens cap from the lens. I removed it and pressed the trigger and voilĂ , a flash. I pressed it again and once again, a flash. When I turned the camera off and on again, it wouldn't fire the flash anymore. I've tried both my lenses (35/2, 16-85), all modes (PASM/rear/red-eye/etc) and many different light conditions but to no luck, the flash icon in the finder won't light up. I've previously used a borrowed SB-600 with very good results so I'm a bit confused. If I hadn't gotten those two flashes yesterday, I would have taken it back to my dealer but now I'm unsure; is it me or the camera?

Is there anyone who can help me cast some light on this? (pun intended) Even though I plan on buying my own SB flash, the pop-up one is quite handy at times and I'd like to know that it works as it should before going away on a trip in a couple of weeks.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Do you wear a baseball style cap with a brim? Hat brims have been known to press on the flash to lower it just enough to turn the switch off. Otherwise, check the settings of the flash and if all is what it should be, sounds like an internal malfunction.

3. emilgil

emilgil

Jul 20, 2008
    Sweden
    No, I didn't wear a baseball cap at that occasion. However there seems to be a small play in the flash mechanics and when I push it slightly to one side, the indicator lights up in the finder. I guess it's back to the dealer with the camera tomorrow...

Thanks for your help, Baywing!

4. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

What setting do you see under:
    Customer setting menu: Bracketing/Flash..(e3)

5. emilgil

emilgil

Jul 20, 2008
    Sweden
  6. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

What setting do you have on "Flash Sync Speed" ? (e1)

7. emilgil

emilgil

Jul 20, 2008
    Sweden
    e1 = 1/250s
    e2 = 1/15s
    e3 = TTL
    e4 = ON
    e5 = AE & Flash
    e6 = flash + speed
    e7 = Under > MTR > Over

8. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Set (e2) to 1/60s

9. emilgil

emilgil

Jul 20, 2008
    Sweden
    Why? I understand you want to help but what is the point of having custom options if you can't change them to what you want?

Not that it matters what I set there, I use manual mode in 90% of my flash photography and this setting doesn't affect that; the flash won't fire no matter what speed I choose. I have already concluded that there is a small play in the flash mount and that this is most likely the cause of my problems (see post #3).

10. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Didn't see 3