D300 Price

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rgordin, Aug 28, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Since people seem to be posting about the Live Search prices for the D3 and the D700, I looked and saw that the the D300 is available using this vehicle as well and it is $1381 from J&R. I have never purchased anything through this site and therefore cannot verify that you will receive cash back as advertised. Other posts suggest that it is legitimate (see the AdamJ's post here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=185581). Of course, now that the D90 is coming out, I suppose no one will read this thread anyway :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Not sure you can compare the 90 and 300 as being equal. I believe a going broke with no work pro friend of mine ordered his 700 from J&R. He is quite savvy on buying so if he used that place I would trust them

3. I have purchased several items from J&R in the past and I have been pleased with the transactions.
    A few of the purchases have been with Amazon and J&R as the preferred seller.
    The Live Search prices are something that I have never experienced or know about previously but J&R is a reliable, legit seller so I feel confident they will honor any advertised price.

4. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Richard - I thought of the same thing and checked the Live Search on the
    D300 and when I saw that price, I orderd. I had to create a Live Search account after I finished my checkout with J&R and five minutes later I had the refund $ showing in my account.

So a D300 was $1381.00 out the door with free UPS Ground shipping. A pretty good deal I think.

5. Globetrotter

Globetrotter

May 4, 2008
    SoCal
    I bought my D300 with the Live.com offer (thanks Lanthier!). They make you wait 90 days before they cut you a check just to make sure you don't return the item.

Instead of buying from a store with the live.com deal, another option is to search the classifieds and if you see something you like contact the seller and see if he/she will put the item up on ebay with a buy it now price. Then continue with the live.com process as usual and snatch up the item as soon as it's posted. Otherwise, someone else might stumble on it and take it from you! :tongue:

6. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    I haven't done this yet, but have heard that an ebay seller can make a listing "private" and only viewable by a certain buyer. Like I said, I haven't done it yet, but have heard it is possible.

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    i gotta stop reading threads like this...

1799.99 + tax.. just 9 months ago!

8. drichi

drichi

Jun 16, 2007
    Tokyo Japan
    Nearly $2000 (Japan price) in January. THat is why I will wait for at least 6 months after introduction before I ever buy another new Nikon. Of course by then its replacement would be out.

9. Wow.
    Thanks for the find! Great website.
    These cash back deals make some of the used equipment deals here seem less good.

10. Exactly. You can get a new one for less than some of the used ones! Great finds.

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I used Live Search a few months ago to buy both the D300 and the 24-70! Great deals!

And - it's almost time to get my rebates! :biggrin:

12. I did the same thing last November but the way I look at is I've the use of the camera for the last 9/10 months. Have shot almost 10,000 pics with it and even bought a 2nd body which now has about 5,000 clicks on it.

Also, truth be told, I couldn't wait that long for the price to drop. You know --- NAS.....

13. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I can see this driving down the price of the used market.

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    i dont see how much lower it can get. I've seen d300's already selling for 1150-1200 bucks, which is what used d200's were selling for 2 years after they were released. The d700 really took a huge chunk out of the d300 resale. :( 

15. Problem with Live Search cashback

I have to commont on the reliability -- or rather, the lack of reliability -- of the Live Search setup. I recently purchased a 24-70 and a 14-24, along a with a Kirk ballhead and a couple of CF cards, by clicking through the Live Search link. I was credited with 15% off the selling price of the 24-70 at J&R, with free shipping! Woo-hoo! I also saved 4% on the purchase of the ballhead at B&H. Sounds great, right?

However, the purchase of the CF cards at Adorama was not credited. Per the Live Search site's FAQ, I waited a week and then emailed them. Their response? Too bad for you. We don't have a record of the transaction, so you can't get credit. Make sure you have cookies enabled, and that you click through the link to make your purchase. Also, don't use paypal or google checkout.

Well, the thing is, I did click through the link, and got a message that told me I was going to get credit for my purchase. I must have cookies enabled, since the transactions at B&H and J&R both worked, and I used the same computer for all the transactions (within minutes of each other, to boot). And I used a credit card.

Moreover, while I haven't emailed them about it yet, I haven't been credited for the purchase of the 14-24 yet, either (and, based on the above, have to assume I won't). But I bought that from B&H also, and I did get credit for the earlier ballhead purchase -- so the fault appears to lie with the Live Search setup.

Now, I would have purchased all of these items anyway, but where I purchased them from was influenced by the Live Search offer. In some instances, the Live Search cashback makes a more expensive vendor the better deal, if they are offering a higher percent discount -- but only if you can be assured of getting it. And since there is no indication when the sale is completed that the cashback transaction actually kicked in, you could be hosed, like I was. Caveat emptor, or maybe you get what you pay for?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.