D300 questions

OKay idid it! Sold both of my D200 bodies and ordered my D300. Hoping it will fuel even more excitement so that by beginning of the year I'll jump for a D700.
Not having it in hand yet I'd like to get somewhat schooled on the ins and outs. So I've already learned that I can disengage the D-lighting, seems that's a feature best suited for landscapes?
Live view is optional, I take it? Is anyone shooting in TIFF, or is RAW still the better option?

What is the Software Suite CD-ROM? what applications are on it? Capture NX?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly, I had never even opened mine. It is a PC/MAC software disc that comes with the following:

PTP Drivers for CoolPix Cameras
Drivers for D1 Series Cameras
Quicktime 7
Nikon Transfer
ViewNX (CaptureNX will come on a separate CD if it's included with your D300)
Microsoft DirectX 9 (kind of old, actually)

I believe all these are free to download as well.

Hope this helps!
Brian

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
OKay idid it! Sold both of my D200 bodies and ordered my D300. Hoping it will fuel even more excitement so that by beginning of the year I'll jump for a D700.
Not having it in hand yet I'd like to get somewhat schooled on the ins and outs. So I've already learned that I can disengage the D-lighting, seems that's a feature best suited for landscapes?
Live view is optional, I take it? Is anyone shooting in TIFF, or is RAW still the better option?

What is the Software Suite CD-ROM? what applications are on it? Capture NX?

Thanks.

In regards to the TIFF question, I don't really understand why anybody would use it since the file sizes are so huge. I would much rather (and I do) shoot RAW and just convert it to TIFF afterward with no loss in image quality. At least with RAW, I can correct any WB issue, as well as alter the exposure.

Surprisingly, I had never even opened mine. It is a PC/MAC software disc that comes with the following:

PTP Drivers for CoolPix Cameras
Drivers for D1 Series Cameras
Quicktime 7
Nikon Transfer
ViewNX (CaptureNX will come on a separate CD if it's included with your D300)
Microsoft DirectX 9 (kind of old, actually)

I believe all these are free to download as well.

Hope this helps!
Brian

Thanks. I had heard some speak of problems with Bridge reading the RAW from D300 so I was curious as to the software it came with.

In regards to the TIFF question, I don't really understand why anybody would use it since the file sizes are so huge. I would much rather (and I do) shoot RAW and just convert it to TIFF afterward with no loss in image quality. At least with RAW, I can correct any WB issue, as well as alter the exposure.

I thought it was an odd thing to offer and couldn't imagine why anyone would use it. Even if you had a 16GB card, I imagine the buffer would only handle maybe 10 shots at best.
It's on the way, hope it gets here by tomorrow! :biggrin::biggrin:

Shoot raw with NX. If you are used to matrix metering it may be different and you might want to try canter-weight.
For BIF, try to avoid a tc. Try the different focusing options. Right now I am using 51 non 3d as long as the background is clear.

So I've already learned that I can disengage the D-lighting, seems that's a feature best suited for landscapes?
Thanks.
D-Lighting is not only for landscapes. I suggest that you explore this feature rather than just avoiding it without a trial.

Shooting in TIFF is largely outdated now. Still, there are production environments where it could be useful. If I had the choice of only TIFF or JPG, then it definitely would be TIFF. However, everything I shoot is in RAW. You will want either RAW or JPG.

Ever since I purchased the D300, I shoot exclusively in RAW (not in THE RAW :biggrin:). My first suggestion is to get a large SATA drive or two and a good USB2.0 or FireWire CF reader. I have Adobe Bridge with my CS3, but prefer ACDsee Pro 2 to transfer and catalog.

Just my $.02

Brian

S

scooptdoo

why are you buying a d300 only to strp up to a d700 in the winter?thats makes litttle sence.go ahead an get the 700.
btw live view is a gimmick.a serious slr shooter will find it so.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
why are you buying a d300 only to strp up to a d700 in the winter?thats makes litttle sence.go ahead an get the 700.

A serious shooter can find times that live view is useful, because in tripod mode it does allow zoomed in close focusing for macro work and other types of shots. Please note there are two modes in live view, one that is very useful for macro and static images, and one that might be not as useful to a "serious" shooter.

Wade

Shoot raw with NX. If you are used to matrix metering it may be different and you might want to try canter-weight.
For BIF, try to avoid a tc. Try the different focusing options. Right now I am using 51 non 3d as long as the background is clear.

Thanks Allan, appreciate the input. Will certainly will run through all the bells and whistles myself, but it certainly helps to have insights and a good starting point to help compare situations.

Well, as a wildlife shooter, I hate to give up the 1.5 reach. Intend to use the D700 primarily as a portrait/pj camera. While it's not like the "business' end is booming so I can wait for the bigger plunge later on.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Standard birding settings I use:

Standard Pic mode +1 saturation, aRGB mode, aperture mode, 21 or 51 pt AF dynamic, constant focus, normal lock on or short lock on, 8 fps, with grip all the time, center weighted metering, -.7 EV on white birds, matrix or center weighted on other birds with neutral ev,

Cheers,

Wade

Thanks everyone. I"m a RAW shooter already, just found it odd to have a TIFF feature as I'd never heard anyone say "Gee I wish I could shoot in TIFF!" :biggrin:
I'll certainly walk it through it's paces, but personal preferences of others helps to think about various settings.

A serious shooter can find times that live view is useful, because in tripod mode it does allow zoomed in close focusing for macro work and other types of shots. Please note there are two modes in live view, one that is very useful for macro and static images, and one that might be not as useful to a "serious" shooter.

Wade

While I'm used to live view whenI digiscope with my Nikon Digiscope System, I don't see myself using it for DSLR stuff but I can see where tripod/macro situations it maybe be useful.

Latest threads

Top Bottom