D300 Revisited. What a surprise I had.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
We are in total "Lockdown" and so amongst other things, I decided to go back over the pictures of an old excursion I did in 2010 with my D300 and finally make a hard copy Blurb book of that wonderful day out ten years ago.

I reprocessed the Raw files in the most up to date versions of Capture 1 and DXO. I used the HRD shadow recovery slider in C1 a lot, to bring detail out of the shadows.

The pictures were taken in a deep gorge called the "Orrido di Botri" not far from Lucca in Tuscany. It involved wading through icy waist deep water on some stretches and edging along a ledge whilst holding onto a rope in others (photo 8). As you can imagine the light was difficult down at the bottom of the gorge, and I did a lot of bracketing.

I mostly used the 17-55 2.8 and I was surprised to see I was able to use some slow shutter speeds to get flowing water without a tripod or VR/IBIS.

With up to date software the files from the "good old" D300 proved to be very malleable and I was able to pull a lot of detail out of the shadows, much more than with the Olympus EM5 which replaced it for my photography. My D300 was a faithful companion on many hikes and on my travels. I still have it as it is so battered and bruised, that it has no resale value. I might even bring it back into service as with my new SH Sigma 100-400, it will give me an equivalent 600mm lens.

To put my photos in some sort of order, I referred to the WWW to skim through some videos to put the pictures in chronological order eccetera, and even plan a new visit. It seems that it has become better known and as a consequence, so overcrowded that the park authorities now limit numbers and you have to book in advance a slot. When I went ten years ago there was hardy anybody, five or six others at most. Some of the videos showed a continuous snake of hikers making there way up the gorge. A huge storm in June 2020 caused big changes to the appearance of the gorge.

The big question I posed myself is one I often ask. Is it better not to revisit places where you have had a great experience?

Here are a few shots.

DSC_9672 1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 The water was waist deep as I entered the gorge.

DSC_9644 1.jpg

DSC_9795 1.jpg

DSC_9801_DxOsmall.jpg

4 The section known as the "Prigioni"

DSC_9828 1.jpg

DSC_9835 1.jpg

DSC_9955 1.jpg

DSC_0003 1.jpg

DSC_0009 3.jpg

DSC_0043 1.jpg

DSC_9759 1.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Nice images of a beautiful gorge! No wonder this was such a memorable experience! Glad you re-processed the images and can re-live the experience through them.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Nice images of a beautiful gorge! No wonder this was such a memorable experience! Glad you re-processed the images and can re-live the experience through them.

Thanks.

Certainly after watching a few Youtube videos showing how crowded this place has become, perhaps it is better it lives on in my memories of the past and not a disappointing second visit.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
We are in total "Lockdown" and so amongst other things, I decided to go back over the pictures of an old excursion I did in 2010 with my D300 and finally make a hard copy Blurb book of that wonderful day out ten years ago.

I reprocessed the Raw files in the most up to date versions of Capture 1 and DXO. I used the HRD shadow recovery slider in C1 a lot, to bring detail out of the shadows.

The pictures were taken in a deep gorge called the "Orrido di Botri" not far from Lucca in Tuscany. It involved wading through icy waist deep water on some stretches and edging along a ledge whilst holding onto a rope in others (photo 8). As you can imagine the light was difficult down at the bottom of the gorge, and I did a lot of bracketing.

I mostly used the 17-55 2.8 and I was surprised to see I was able to use some slow shutter speeds to get flowing water without a tripod or VR/IBIS.

With up to date software the files from the "good old" D300 proved to be very malleable and I was able to pull a lot of detail out of the shadows, much more than with the Olympus EM5 which replaced it for my photography. My D300 was a faithful companion on many hikes and on my travels. I still have it as it is so battered and bruised, that it has no resale value. I might even bring it back into service as with my new SH Sigma 100-400, it will give me an equivalent 600mm lens.

To put my photos in some sort of order, I referred to the WWW to skim through some videos to put the pictures in chronological order eccetera, and even plan a new visit. It seems that it has become better known and as a consequence, so overcrowded that the park authorities now limit numbers and you have to book in advance a slot. When I went ten years ago there was hardy anybody, five or six others at most. Some of the videos showed a continuous snake of hikers making there way up the gorge. A huge storm in June 2020 caused big changes to the appearance of the gorge.

The big question I posed myself is one I often ask. Is it better not to revisit places where you have had a great experience?

Here are a few shots.

View attachment 1676434
1 The water was waist deep as I entered the gorge.

View attachment 1676435

View attachment 1676436

View attachment 1676437
4 The section known as the "Prigioni"

View attachment 1676438

View attachment 1676439

View attachment 1676440

View attachment 1676441

View attachment 1676442

View attachment 1676443

View attachment 1676444
Oh, Nigel.
Northern Italy if so surprising again.
The blue water picture is incredible.

All the best wishes for the new year
Klaus

Real Name
Dan
Certainly after watching a few Youtube videos showing how crowded this place has become, perhaps it is better it lives on in my memories of the past and not a disappointing second visit.
Really a nice set of images. Yes the improvements in PP software can make a huge difference when re-processing some older shots.

Regarding re-visiting a location for which you have fond memories, that's a tough one. If you're going back with overall expectations of the visit being as good/better than before, likely you're set up for disappointment. However as a photographer if the goal is to improve on shots of a specific scene then the overall heavier traffic etc may not matter. From what you've said in this brief post it sounds like your overall expectations may have you set up for a let down if you were to return.

I'd go back. the experience will be different, location and crowds may have changed, but then you also are not the same person as you were 10 years ago. Quite often you find new memories to shoot that in the past you would not have thought of. Or your techniques may have improoved that allow you to capture an image that you would not have been able to in the past.

I keep going back to places I visited in the past that have become more crowded or changed with storms or "progress", but if I'm open and not trying to recreate the past experience, It seems that I always find something new and create a new memory just as important as those of the past.

Keep playing and look with fresh eyes.

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Oh, Nigel.
Northern Italy if so surprising again.
The blue water picture is incredible.

All the best wishes for the new year
Klaus

Happy New Year to you too.

Yes, In my part of Italy and I also think that anywhere in Europe you can find lots of interesting places to visit. I do a lot of research when I travel.

The blue water was icy cold!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I'd go back. the experience will be different, location and crowds may have changed, but then you also are not the same person as you were 10 years ago. Quite often you find new memories to shoot that in the past you would not have thought of. Or ypiur techniques may have improoved that allow you to capture an image that you would not have been able to in the past.

I keep going back to places I visited in the past that have become more crowded or changed with storms or "progress", but if I'm open and not trying to recreate the past experience, It seems that I always find something new and create a new memoey just as important as those of the past.

Keep playing and look with fresh eyes.

I think I will go back some day, but after nature has healed the damage the storm did. My more modern Z7 would be a killer for this place and sure my vision has changed.

But this place reminds me a little of Antelope Canyon, that Bruce Barnbaum unfortunately helped to make famous. When he first went, he could wander and photograph at will. Now serious photography has become all but impossible, as even the photo tours where a tripod could be used have been sacrificed to the numbers game.

The Orrido park authorities have sensibly imposed a limit on visitors as the pressure of visitors was destroying the nature people came to see. A midweek slot in June would probably be OK.

JLH

Beautiful photos and I too have found that when I go back and visit old photos using "modern" tools they take on new life. I think the new high grade monitors I am using also help..:)
Long ago, (like fifty years ago! ), I lived for nearly two years in Bavaria just north of the Austrian border. I have great pictures and memories of that area and often thought about returning for a visit. My German friends tell me its not the same, time caught up with it and I might not find the peaceful, quaint villages and places I remember in my photos. Glad I took lots of pictures while I was there, I can remember it as it was in a different time.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Beautiful photos and I too have found that when I go back and visit old photos using "modern" tools they take on new life. I think the new high grade monitors I am using also help..:)
Long ago, (like fifty years ago! ), I lived for nearly two years in Bavaria just north of the Austrian border. I have great pictures and memories of that area and often thought about returning for a visit. My German friends tell me its not the same, time caught up with it and I might not find the peaceful, quaint villages and places I remember in my photos. Glad I took lots of pictures while I was there, I can remember it as it was in a different time.

Yes, I forgot the monitor I use now is much better than the one I used ten years ago.

We have been to Salzburg a few times, which is right on the Bavarian border, and we explored this part of Germany. Sure it is probably less quaint that when you lived there, but it was very enjoyable all the same as it is not really a mass tourist destination and the places we visited were not overcrowded.

JLH

We use to drive down to Salzburg for dinner for time to time. I lived in Rosenhiem and worked in Bad Abling. What a beautiful area! My cameras got a lot of work over there!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom