D300 + Sigma 10-20mm Nightshot

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by JohnC, Sep 17, 2008.

1. The D300 does Nashville. I’m still working on the w/b and saturation, but overall this one is decent. It’s an as shot jpg right out of the camera. The resized file is here for quick viewing and I also inserted a link to the full size un-edited jpg for pixel peeping.

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

http://home.comcast.net/~nx330mustang/DSC_0163.JPG

New shot I did just to play in LR2.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  2. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Beautiful shot !

Matt.

3. Thanks, Matt! :smile:

4. Hey John -

Looks like a darn fine match to me . . .

Compositionally, I'd have also considered a square crop such that the tall spire in the upper left was matched by the red reflection at the lower left. If you'd like to see what I was thinking (and wouldn't mind me using your photo to do it), let me know.

Seems to me that there was a thread here going on about the Sigma 10-20 sometime ago - lol.

Eric

5. i really like the colours on this one! great capture!

6. Sure, you can use it. The original is the link at the bottom of the photo. :smile:

7. Thanks, Tomm! :smile:

8. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Beautiful!

9. Thanks, Igor! :biggrin:

The D300 and Sigma 10-20mm is one fun setup I tell you! :cool: 

10. John -

This is what I was thinking, and although it packs the frame with more color, I'm not sure that it has more punch than your original.

Eric

original.

11. Wow, that is a gorgeous shot!

12. That does look nice! I might reshoot a tighter angle like that next time. :smile:

13. Would you be able to shoot vertically and give the spire a little more room to breath? I think that the top and bottom borders can be somewhat relaxed. If you look at the bottom of the frame, the reflection is actually incomplete. Just my very unprofessional opinion.:D 

Anyhow, it's already a splendid shot. Well done.

14. Great shot...love the colours. Straight out of the camera jpeg? did you use incamera noise reduction ...any exif information that you'd care to share?

15. You can download Opanda EXIF reader and see all the shooting info. :smile:

This shot is a jpeg right out of the D300 with nothing but a resize done for web posting. That is why I included a link to the full size jpeg below it. You can see the EXIF and that it has not gone through any PP programs. :smile:

But if it helps you out:

6 sec
    F/6.3
    ISO 200
    W/B Tungsten (incandescent light)
    sRGB
    VividI color mode (saturation cranked all the way up)
    +5 shaprening (I think)
    High ISO NR on
    Long Exp NR Normal

And I always try to shoot night stuff under a full moon. ;) 

16. sylwesterski

sylwesterski

Jul 25, 2006
    Seattle,WA
    Looks great John.

17. Thanks, sylwesterski! :smile:

18. Added a new shot at the bottom. This one was worked over in Adobe LR 2. :smile:

19. I prefer the top one, just clone out the rail in bottom left hand corner.

20. Looks good. :smile:
    I like the second one for the added boat but would prefer a somewhat tighter crop, especially to get rid of that space on the right. Maybe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.