1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 Stopped Working Tonight

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Bright Angel, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I'm currently on vacation in Seattle and was out shooting this evening, when my D300 stopped working properly.
    I can take photos but nothing is displayed on the screen, plus when I press any menu buttons nothing is displayed on the screen.
    One minute it worked OK, the next it didn't.

I've changed the battery, CF card and lens, but still no joy.
    Does this sound like it will need to be set for repair when I get back to the UK (I fly back on Friday) or is the problem easily fixable by myself ?

Thanks for any advice.
    (I'm going to drown my sorrows with a few Beers now)

2. The only thing I can think of is to clean the contacts.

3. Reset the camera.

4. If its actually still taking pictures, then I'd guess its a bad screen issue that will need warranty work. I wouldn't think cleaning the contacts would help in this case since all information, presumably, is flowing as needed from lens to camera to card. Seems to me like the monitor/screen itself has some sort of internal problem. Good luck!

5. Instead of speculating I would still reset or reboot the camera. On my 70 and 200 it involves pressing 2 buttons at the same time. If the problem follows I would send it in to Nikon.

6. Go over to Glazer's Camera in Seattle and have them take a quick look. They open at 9AM. If the camera is not taking pictures, perhaps you can go over to the Glazer's rental store, a few blocks away, and rent one for the the rest of your stay. They open at 9AM, I wish I'd seen this when you posted, I would have been happy to meet last night and see what we could figure out.

Have you checked the CF card to see if the pictures are intact?

Drop me a PM and I'll send you my phone number if you want to chat.

7. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you very much for your replies.

I fixed the problem with a reset, I had to look it up on the internet, how to do it (Hold QUAL & +- bottons down) for anyone else needing the info).
    After I did this the camera started focusing and taking pictures on it's own.
    But after I removed and reinserted the battery it now works as it should.

I think I'll get it checked out anyway, when I get back home.

Retief,
    No images were lost from the card and thanks for the information.

Thanks again everyone :smile:

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats!!!

9. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Glad to hear you are back up and running, enjoy your vacation!

Oh boy first documented case of DSS (Dead Screen Syndrome)

10. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

100,000 th post stating problem.resposnes range from simple on/off,reset,reboot,batterys reinseted to the send that broken pos to nikon to fix.i think we can all agree 99.9 % of the time its not broken!da huh!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.