D300 users...please help.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Duschoolboy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I just recieved a D300 with grip and 4l battery. To make a long story short, do I HAVE to have the enl3 battery in the camera for the camera to work even though I have a hot battery in the grip? I could not get it to come on last night without the enl3 battery in the camera. I did know if it was a setting in camera for that or not. All I found was the battery choice sellection on which one you use first. Thanks for the help

2. Its it a nikon battery in the grip?

I've had problems with the grip not recognizing non-nikon enl4's.

Gary

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Did you go into the menu to list which battery you want to use? I keep both batteries in at all times, so I have no first-hand knowledge if you can shoot with the grip battery only. Please check your menu to see if you have selected the appropriate battery.

4. I keep both batteries in as well, but when I first got it, I tested the combinations and you can shoot with grip only.

Gary

5. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ^^ ditto. Definately should work OK. Maybe order is set to camera first then grip and its tricked itself

6. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Frank. I did check that. The thing is what if the battery in the grip dies and youve choosen it first? Then the grip battery is worthless because it cannot function without the camera battery. That means you would have to choose the grip battery first in your usage order.

I tried both settings.

7. I'm not sure....I just took the body battery out of mine and it works. Is the grip working properly otherwise?

8. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    As far as I know, its working fine. Functionally it operates the camera ok. Just will not work without the camera battery in it.

9. Are all your batteries genuine "Nikon" batteries?

If you have a battery in the camera, and in the grip. Does the top LCD display show BP next to the battery meter?

Gary

10. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    yes
    yes

11. Contact Nikon, somethings wrong ... :/

12. Isn't there a battery selection option in the menu?

13. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I called nikon and they said it should work without the battery in it. That I need to send the camera with the grip in to get it checked out.

14. Sorry to hear that!! That's a lot of trouble for your new gear.

15. I was hoping it was something simple.......I'm so sorry!

16. Bummer. I guess you've tried another battery type (like the EN-EL3e that you know is good) in the grip to eliminate a bad battery or carrier as a possibility? FWIW, I use (8) NiMh AA's in the grip with no battery in the camera and I can get >1500 shots per charge (I've never really run them down, so I don't know what the maximum is). Good luck getting it straight, Mike.

17. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Dave,
    I talked to Nikon and they said it will work without the battery in the camera. I suspect it may be the grip, so I am going to PcolaRoys tonight and try one of his grips to see if it works. I hope that is what it is because that is a simple fix. If not its going back to the seller, and I will have to hunt another one. Thanks for your help.

18. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Found th problem. I put a new grip on the camera and it worked like a charm.

19. Glad it wasn't the camera Mike

I'll send you a bill for the tech suport :wink:

20. Great news, Mike. It's good to have friends like Roy. :smile: