D300 users, will I be happy?

I know any step up from the D80 is obviously going to be better; what I am specifically looking for is: I'm moving the the D300, mostly for better ISO performance... I'm slowly working from portrait work to shooting a few weddings. Will I be happy? I'm also purchasing the sigma 50-150mm 2.8 for that very reason. For my portrait work (ie. seniors and kids) I use my tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

Someone told me that I would regret the D300, that I should just get the D90 for better ISO. Any thoughts?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The D300 is a very good camera. The ISO performance is almost the same as the D90, that is not a good reason to choose a D90 over a D300.

The advice you are far more likely to receive here is that you should buy a D700 instead of a D300. That camera gives much better high ISO performance, and for dimly lit weddings that is what you need. It is also a lot more expensive.

You'll get about a stop, maybe a stop and a half improvement. If ISO is your only concern, the D90 is just as good for less money, but the D700 is another stop to stop and a half better again... (then the D3s another stop plus...)

I believe the D80 has a derivative of the D200 sensor - with the D200 I wasn't thrilled with ISO 400. With the D300 I'll comfortably go to ISO 400, ISO 640 in a pinch, and very occasionally ISO 800, but not thrilled with the noise levels there.

I realize the D700 is the way to go, but budget wise, I'm waiting... the ultimate goal by the end of the year/beginning next year is to have a D300 for my backup/studio camera and a D700 for my weddings and outdoor portrait.

Okay, I think I was getting some bad advice. Called the camera guys and they said the same thing you two did.

sjd, the D80 ISO performance is terrible! I did a test comparison with a D90 and it rocked the socks off my D80.

I keep telling myself, it'll be good, so much better than the D80.

The D90 will do photo IQ wise the same as the D300, but the D300 does have more features (especially external controls) for ease of use which for me is a great feature.
The D300 has a better build (Alloy chassis), plus it will allow metering of MF lens which may or may not be a benefit to you later on...
IMO in the real world there is no difference between these 2 cameras in IQ,

So it really depends on your budget, but you can these days pick up a low shutter count D300 for reasonable dollars, otherwise go for a new D90.
But as you already know the ultimate step up is the D700, but remember when you do make that step, you will then need to re-think your lens line up, OH it just never stops... LOL...

Real Name
Randy
i would not buy a d300 for high iso
yes you will be disapointed unless 800 is high for you

wait a month or 2 and get a used d700 for 1600 and don't look back

I upgraded from the D80 to the D300s; and honestly, I don't see the improvement for noise/ISO. I do see a difference in the noise and I find that I can use noiseware with better success on the photos from the D300s than I did on the D80, but I see noise at ISO200 that I never saw on the D80. Don't get me wrong, I love the D300s and the upgrade was worth every penny to me, I just wouldn't do it for ISO/Noise performance, I think you'll be disappointed. I see you're not ready for D700; so, if you can wait a few months the rumored D400 might be out soon, or if you want to upgrade for speed, build, video, etc. then go for it. I find the D300s amazingly fast. Both on how many frames and on AF. I love it.

I had a D80 and upgraded to the D300 for the better high ISO. It was better, but the camera overall was worth it ISO or not. However, at the time the D3 was just out and $5,000, so it was not an option, and I was happy. When the D700 came out I waited and waited, and when it looked like the prices might go up I bought one. For what you are trying to do Randy nailed it. If you buy a D300, and someone lets you play with a D700, you will kick yourself. Save money by upgrading once, to something that really makes a difference.

So ideally, I *could* go ahead with the D300, (keep in mind, I'm small time, small town portrait photographer) and when the D700 comes down even a little more then I could go ahead with that too? Then it would be my original goal was met. The D300 will be for my second shooter during weddings.

At any point, I seriously need to get shed of the D80 and have TWO pro cameras for the studio business. Keep my D80 for the house and my sons sports. Right?

I just can't swing the D700 and lens right now... no way, I still need a few things to finish the studio first. I just wanted to make sure that I was going in the right direction by buying a D300 before I can't get one new anymore.

And I realize that the ISO won't be my dream, but if it is comparable to the D90 I played with, it WILL BE much better than my D80.

Real Name
Randy
So ideally, I *could* go ahead with the D300, (keep in mind, I'm small time, small town portrait photographer) and when the D700 comes down even a little more then I could go ahead with that too? Then it would be my original goal was met. The D300 will be for my second shooter during weddings.

At any point, I seriously need to get shed of the D80 and have TWO pro cameras for the studio business. Keep my D80 for the house and my sons sports. Right?

I just can't swing the D700 and lens right now... no way, I still need a few things to finish the studio first. I just wanted to make sure that I was going in the right direction by buying a D300 before I can't get one new anymore.

i got 2 used d300's last month on fredmiranda for 1050 each, the prices are now under 1k and still dropping so if i was you i would consider used vs new (not even sure you can find new anymore)

I would personally get the D300 course i just picked one up as well so im a bit one sided lol. The DX lenses go well with it. The ISO is great the body isnt too heavy to use either. I like it the only hting im noticing is the huge verticle learning curve.

One small thought here for you, if you have any intentions of going with the D700/FX in the future, I would worry more about getting FX lenses. Your 17-50 and the Sigma 50-150 F2.8 you are planning on getting are DX.

I like the D300 for it's ease-of-use. The important functions can be adjusted externally, without sorting through the various on-screen menus. High ISO is less important to me as my digital shooting is done in daylight.

I like that I can use AIS manual-focus lenses on the D300, though I don't care much for the crop factor. The manual-focus lenses are a good deal nowadays, and are a less expensive full-frame option if you do get a D700.

I don't care for the battery grip, I find it makes the camera bulky and heavy. But this is probably less important if you shoot in a studio, I tend to carry my camera for hours at a time, and weight is an important factor.

Get the D300, I doubt that you will ever regret it. Your plan seems very sound. Many people have that exact D700/D300 combination.

Sure the D700 offers but then so does the D3s and the D3x and whatever may be coming around the corner.

I think you are smart in setting your budget and sticking to it. It is very easy to get carried away when dealing with our passions.

Get the D300, I doubt that you will ever regret it. Your plan seems very sound. Many people have that exact D700/D300 combination.

Sure the D700 offers but then so does the D3s and the D3x and whatever may be coming around the corner.

I think you are smart in setting your budget and sticking to it. It is very easy to get carried away when dealing with our passions.
+1

High ISO image quality is useful, but it isn't the end-all, especially for portrait work. Here is a portrait shot that is considered one of the the most recognized images in the history of National Geographic. (Images courtesy of wikipedia page at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl_(photo))

Nikon FM2, 105 f2.5, Kodachrome 64
Subject: Sharbat Gula
Photographer: Steve McCurry (c)1984
National Geographic 1985 cover.
300px-Sharbat_Gula.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sharbat_Gula_on_National_Geographic_cover.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The D300 is my first and only DSLR at this point so I cant compare but can tell you its been a great camera. Im new to photography and find that the learning curve is not rocket science. I find the best way for me is to go out and shoot, learn by trial and error. Enjoy :smile: Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom