D300 v1.03 firmware released

How About an AF Improvement?

The D3 gets that twice now and they leave the D300 hanging...

Yes...this time I am complaining.

Flagship DX body eh?

What's been fixed?

Does anyone know if this update addresses DBS

Has anyone with DBS updated yet?

Very disappointed that only battery improvement by the new D300 firmware.:mad: but, how come that we get a large B file(7MB) just for this??

Evidently Both A and B get updated

Even though several countries PDF's only note an update to A.

I suppose we'll have to load this and see if there are any other unannounced tweaks evident, although Nikon has typically made it clear when they update things as to what they are.

I agree Jim. Kinda miffed at Nikon for this.

If they can firmware update the D3 to v2 and update Autofocus, WB, menu features, etc then they should update the D300's capabilities as well. IMHO.

Now We Just Need Nikon USA Formware

So far it's not listed, although I'd assume that when Melville wakes up, it will be listed.

I just read the D3 V2's firmware update pdf and now I am even more disappointed in Nikon.

A Menu bank selection feature has been added to the D3. This functionality has been requested since the D200 but now ONLY the D3 earns the right to have it.

http://www.nikon-euro.com/kdb/en/2008/25217/en/D3.pdf

"A [Shooting menu bank] option has been added. If
this option is selected, the shooting menu bank can
be selected by pressing the button and rotating a
command dial."

*** Nikon!!

Interesting Install

The A install takes no time at all.

The B install takes a considerable amount of time as far as firmware upgrades go....and that result is the same on 2 different camera bodies.

Just switch to M-Mode with AutoISO on and select your desired shutter speed, works for me :smile:
And what happens when light levels increase? You get over-exposed shots. It would be nice if they just fixed it, so that the shutter speed just increased when light levels increased.

Real Name
Rodney
I haven't done the other update yet, does this include all updates, or do I have to do them in steps?

Some Firmware Thoughts from Thom

Please note that he considers his thought to be speculative...

"Nikon’s firmware updates haven’t always matched expectations. I suspect that it has to do with what the resources are that are maintaining the code bases. The D3 benefits from all the work on the D700, as these are very highly shared code bases, and the upcoming high resolution model is probably also on that same code base. Thus, I’m sure there are very active coders in that file. The D300 has a slightly different processor/architecture (as you’ve discovered in the autofocus performance), and I’m guessing that no one is working on anything there that isn’t either easy or necessary at the moment, as there’s not follow on body to the D300 at the moment. The D80 replacement is yet another processor/architecture, and I’d guess that’s where Nikon has positioned those D300 coders.

Only time will tell whether the D300 gets any true follow up. I long ago said that I believed that DX sensors could get to 16mp with continued improvement before we hit the land of too-little-return-for-too-much-investment. I suspect we will get one more splash in high-end DX, but I doubt it’s being worked on with any urgency at the moment.

The real issue is when a design is active versus when it goes into maintenance. This determines how many resources are available to tidy things up. It seems clear to me that the D700/D3/High Rez platform is still very active. The D300 platform appears to be in maintenance. "

Latest threads

Top Bottom