D300 vs D2x Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Baywing, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    For those who have both, could you help convince me I'm not crazy? OK, maybe I am, but in any case, here's what I'm seeing. As I look thru the D2x viewfinder, the scene is bright and very accurate. With the same lens on the D300, the scene seems much duller (lower contrast, darker) and with a noticably yellow cast to it. Take a look for yourself, am I crazy?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Is it with the same lens?

3. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    no text

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    You're Not Nuts

They are different but to be honest, when I'm shooting the D300 I don't even notice it.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Shooting both, I've been switching back and forth lately and the difference is very noticable, especially the D300 yellow cast.

6. I never noticed a yellow cast with my D300.

7. Nope your not crazy, the D300 VF is smaller and a little darker compared to the D2X.Wich may not be a big minus for most people, but for those who MF its a notible diffrence.

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I have the Katz Eye in both bodies...I don't notice the yellow cast, and brightness seems about the same.

9. I like the D300 viewfinder, but I prefer the D2X focal points better. Smaller and more accurate.

10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    That's one thing I don't care for in the D2X as compared to the D300..

The focus points are always displayed and they light up for such a short amount of time..combine the two and I often can't tell which is active. The D300, on the other hand, is clean and very clear as to which is the active AF since there is only one.

Mix in the Katz Eye focus screen and the D2X becomes downright cluttered where as the Katz Eye in the D300 still looks very organized and clean...like the old days.

I still prefer the layout and date set in the D2X and changing it's focus screen is a breeze, plus I wish the top LCD on the D300 would indicate the position of the current active AF point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.