1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 VS D2Xs

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by mike367, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mike367

mike367

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Hi all, Iam considering trading my D300 and some cash for a new D2xs. I have read alot of info. Was wondering if any members could give me a real life side by side comparison of focusing, tracking, color, ect. I know about physical size differences and the 300 is a touch better at higher iso. My photography interests are wildlife, birds in flight, airplanes,and architecture. I will be getting a D3 this fall. Thanks, Mike

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    In Real World Use

The D300 has proven to be more than a touch better relative to ISO.....I consistently shoot at ISO 800 and 1000 with the D300 and find no issues with it whatsoever.

3. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    D2x!!

Dear Mike! DO IT! DO IT!

I just traded my D300 for a mint D2X! :)  . I love the viewfinder the focus the grip.... I did some excellent print from ISO800 at 30x45cm! I find 800 perfect for my needs. This is a true professional cam. I never felt this with my D300. The matrix meter works fine, not so on a D300. I got 1 - 1,5 EV overexpo. with the new D300 matrix in many cases. I used CW + ev comp. on it in the end......
    The D2X matrix is fine, colors are better for my taste. SKIN tones specially!
    The CAM2000 module and the AF motor in the pro cam is way better than the new cool 51 point 3500 module FOR MY NEEDS. I find it more sure, side af point WAAAY more sure!
    I use a dk17m + dk19 on the VF, and it is fantastic. The best DX view i ever saw. It has more powerfull af motor, so it drives my 180 AF-D at AF-S speed!:) 
    I LOVE MY D2X! ALL I EVER WANTED FROM NIKON IS A D2X! AND I HAVE MY D2X!!!! :) ))))

4. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

I always wanted a D2x, but I prefer what the D300 offers me. Thom Hogan does a head to head comparison here.

The smaller body and greater DR are appealing to me. At 30 pounds plus a tripod and ballhead, my gear is already too heavy to comfortably carry around.

5. Probably, the D300 has more to offer. I also doubted to trade my D2X for a new D300 as a backup to my D3 so rented a D300 for a day. One way or the other the D2 ergonomics with the grip have my preference. Not at lower ISO, but at higher ISO the D300 kicks the D2X's ***, as easy as that.

Currently I normally use my D2X only during daytime under good lightning conditions together with my D3, for "bad" lightning conditions I solely use the D3.

If you do not mind about the built-in grip, keep the D300!

Nick.

P.S. You are claiming you get a D3 soon. Looking at your lenses it might be more wise to invest in glass first. The 18-200 will be of little to no use on a D3 since it is a DX lens.

6. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    How to learn more

I would like to learn more about the D2X. On ebay, the prices are falling between the D200 and the D300.

Apparently the search engine here will not work for the phrase "D2X." I would appreciate being directed to any good threads to learn more about this camera - or any good search ideas or locations here to read more.

Thanks.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    type in D2Xs in advanced search mode with DSLR as the forum

Most of the old D2Xs threads are back in 2006-2007, the search can use 4 characters, and start from the back of the search results, the first 5-6 pages are all comparisons between that and D300.

for three character searches try putting a *D2X* in between to help isolate.

8. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    If you haven't seen it, Thom Hogan has a comparison between a D2X and D300 in his D300 review: http://www.bythom.com/nikond300review.htm There's a table in the middle of the article.

I do have both D300 and D2X and I like the AF on D2X better... it just feel faster and gives me more accurate results especially on non AFS lenses. Color is more natural as I find the D300 a bit too saturated.... but for wedding/engagement shoot work, I find the sometimes having more vibrant colours is actually a good thing....

However if you are to get a D3 in the fall, personally I just don't see why you should get a D2X... personally I would keep a D300 just because I don't want to haul a big pro body around with me all the time...

9. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the information about searches and Thom Hogan's article. These will give me a good start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.