D300 vs. D700 first non-scientific test of ISO 2000

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by sonyam, Jul 30, 2008.

1. UPDATED WITH PICS USING SAME IN CAMERA SETTINGS!

As far as I can tell, I used the same camera settings. I didn't do a whole lot of menu diving, but I think they're set right. Auto white balance, 85mm 1.4 @1.4, ISO 2000, ss 1/160 for both. I did my best to frame them the same.....but difficult with the differences in fx vs. dx. Again, NOT SCIENTIFIC, just for your own D700 entertainment......

Click on photo for full res jpeg. (opened in NX2, saved as jpeg...I changed nothing) Focal point was the twirly twig in front. Can you tell which is which?

2716844231_dfcf08a827_o.

2717007541_0f6893eb09_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Thanks for posting these, there's definitely a big difference in noise, I don't think the NR set on low for the D300 and normal on the D700 made much of a difference.
    Do you think that the difference in saturation is due to the different pic control D300 neutral and D700 standard, or actually to a different color rendition of the sensors?

3. I thought I changed the settings to be the same....lemme go see what happened. Maybe I put them in a settings bank but didn't actually use that one. I'll redo soon.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Yay! This is a great example, Sonya! My D300 has now sold so it shant be long now :biggrin:

5. Incredible difference in color. How about using one of your kids as a model to see the differences in skin tones? And maybe take a few shots at iso200, to see if the variations are related to high iso.

6. I'm sure it had something to do with using the wrong settings bank....I'm working on a redo. Once the girls are up from naptime I'm definitely turning mamarazzi!

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    sure looks like the differences between normal settings and standard which on my D300 vs D3 are pretty much similar in regards to colors (please note, I said similar, not the same)

8. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    wow, big difference.

wow.

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Man that is huge...I would like to see ISO 3200 from both cameras...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  10. I just updated with a more accurate non-scientific test. :biggrin: Still a big difference, IMO.

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    i really love the super shallow DOF from the d700.

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I"m sold...where do I buy one? :biggrin:

13. In print, these would look the same. Now IS0 6400 I'm sure will be different but up to 3200 I find the the D300 is just fine.

14. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Well, if it's any indication, the first shot (even on the website default resolution) looks like a real plant shot with grainy film. The second LOOKS like a silk plant shot with Velvia (well, nearly!). Great stuff - headed to pick mine up in the next hour or so...

15. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Wow.............what a difference in my view. I would like to see some other comparisons at the other higher ISOs like 3200, etc.

Thanks,

16. I'll do more later...this was just the first few clicks. Sharing my excitement with people who care... :biggrin:

I'll do a side by side of all ISO's by the weekend. I'll even dig out the tripod and wireless remote....for my non scientific test, LOL!

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wonderful Sonya ....the d3/700 is a real marvel. i wouldn't bother with the comparisons. just sell the 300 and be done with it ..lol

;-)))

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

btw, would love to see some shots with the t90 mounted ....;-)))

19. I'll do that for ya Nute! :) 

20. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    All this stuff with the D700 makes me want to get rid of my D300 and go for the D700. I am convinced by what I have thus seen so far on Nikon Cafe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.