D300 & Wireless Remote question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by chrismead, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I am sure that this is one of those things that is so simple that everyone just does it. I have even looked through the manual to find out how to do this. How do I use a wireless remote to action the shutter?

The D80 was simple - I had some clues, but am not able to make it work on the 300!

Grateful for the help.

Chris

2. What remote are you trying to use....

3. If you're trying to use the wireless remote that you used with the D80, then I don't think that'll work. You'll have to get a new one for the D300.
    I've seen quite a few recomendations for one of the Phottix remotes.

4. The Phottix works great on the 300.

5. A generic one that was purchased specifically for the D80 - it appeared that the same one was being offered and that also was supposed to work with the D300.

I am guessing that you turn the shooting dial to remote and go? If that is it, I'll get a new remote.

Thanks for the answers (so far!).

Chris

6. The D300 doesn't have the infra red receiver to work with the D80 remote. The D300 will need a remote that works with the Nikon 10 pin remote terminal.

Ronnie

7. ...anyone need a remote for a D80?

Chris

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Chris

I got a phottix one off ebay for about a tenner
    Came from HK in less than a week.

9. Anyone tried their Timer Remote ?
    I realise it is a cord one, I just thought here could be a good place to ask.

10. yep - very good bit of kit. Timer, long exposure, interval-o-meter. Does exactly "what it says on the tin".

11. Thanks for that.
    Now to get one past the SWMBO.

12. OMG the Phottix remotes seem to have disappeared from ebay. There were loads and then......NONE!

I did buy a Chinese model that looks the same as the phottix cleon. It seems to work pretty well on all modes including BULB.

Fantastic I say !

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06

Jul 25, 2008
    Florida
  14. it certainly looks the same.

The only difference I found was that you dont have the bulb function in the wired part. you can control the bulb function as well as the timer function from the wireless remote though.

15. FusionZ06

FusionZ06

Jul 25, 2008
    Florida
    Explain what you mean.

Thanks

16. ok, so both products are made up of 2 parts. 1 physically connected to the camera via a 10-pin connector and a separate wireless remote control.

The Phottix version has a shutter/focus button on the wired controller as well as a bulb setting and a timer setting (10 seconds or so set by camera menu) The wireless part of the Phottix just has an on/off button and a focus/shutter button. (Im not sure if the bulb feature can be used on the wireless part.

The Yongnuo version (which I bought) has an on/off button as well as a focus/shutter button on the wired part. The wireless part has a timer/bulb button as well as a focus/shutter button.

Single shot and multi shots are dependant on the camera setting. What I do find annoying is that using a remote I have to revert the AF back to the shutter button on the camera instead of using only the AF button as I normally do.

With the Yongnuo version, to use the bulb function you just set the button on the wireless controller to bulb and hold the shutter button until the light goes off (a couple of seconds) and then press it again when your ready to close the shutter.

Hope this clarifies some points. I probably missed a load of stuff though :) 

Craig

17. FusionZ06

FusionZ06

Jul 25, 2008
    Florida
    Excellent so I think I would prefer the Yongnuo version then correct?

I mean having the bulb ability and timer function that the Yongnuo provides.

See I always research everything so extensively before I purchase and an explanation like this is very helpful. Thanks

18. FusionZ06

FusionZ06

Jul 25, 2008
    Florida
    I'm having troule finding the Younguo version for the D300 on eBay that will ship to the US. Any help?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.