D300 won't switch on

I have tried 2 fully charged batteries but no luck. Are there any buttons I can press to reset the camera or will I have to send it to Nikon for repair?

There are two green dots on your camera's exterior. (That's a Nikon standard.) Simultaneously press the two buttons indicated by those green dots to reset your camera. However, before you do so, record all of your settings, as you will have to reset them afterward.

For a more detailed explanation probably accompanied by an image of the two buttons you need to press, download your camera's manual and conduct a search of reset.

When you put the battery in your camera, a green light on the rear should be displayed for a short period of time. That confirms that the camera is properly recognizing the battery. Does that light display? If you're inserting the battery using a battery pack/grip, try inserting the battery not using the pack/grip.

Hi Mike, I tried leaving the camera on without the battery but all I got was a big E showing up in the control panel. So I am sending the camera to Nikon.
Thanks very much for replying and your suggestions.

a big E showing up in the control panel
The D300 manual says that indicates that the camera is not detecting the memory card. Make sure a card is in it. If so, turn off the camera, remove the card, reinsert it and try turning on the camera again.

You had explained that the camera isn't turning on. It wouldn't be displaying anything in the control panel if it wasn't turning on. Another indication about that is the green light I mentioned in an earlier post that comes on for less than a second immediately after the battery is inserted in the camera. You didn't mention whether that light comes on.

With a card inserted and I am only getting the E and no other info in the control panel e.g battery icon, Raw, exposure info etc. The green light is not coming on at all.

Yes you are right, on the Nikon drop down menu on their service page they do not list this camera !!! They have the D300s.
I will ship it out on Monday and hope for the best.

Update. Nikon Canada emailed me today and suggested I replace the camera with a D850. So that means the camera is not worth fixing or lack of parts. As the D300 is a DX camera and the D850 is FX I wonder why didn't they suggest a D500 ??

... As the D300 is a DX camera and the D850 is FX I wonder why didn't they suggest a D500 ??
Surely not just to get you to spend more money. Nikon wouldn't do that. Oooh, I know. They suggested the camera with the closest frame rate to what you are accustomed to shooting. You can just shoot it in DX crop mode and never know the difference :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom