D300 Would NOT Focus

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Marlene, Aug 16, 2008.

1. We had some old friends visiting from another province today. We took a trip out in the country and saw a herd of antelope. Hmmm, I grab the D300 and am about to focus and it would not focus. What settings did I monkey with this a.m. and not test? :eek:

We got back to the city and it hit me - Marlene you now have the camera set to use the AF-on botton not half press the shutter!! What a dummy. After that embarrassing experience I probably won't forget again - I HOPE. :biggrin:

Marlene

2. The AF-on button is definitely one you need to practice with over and over and over to make it instinctual. I'm still trying to get used to using mine after reading that thread. The jury is still out on the verdict though.

3. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Sorry to hear Marlene,

at least it's not a camera problem... similar thing happened to me once with the M, S, C switch set to M by mistake, and with the self-timer... talk about feeling embarrassed...

I haven't visited the AF-ON thread for a while, but my gripe with the AF-ON button is an ergonomic one.
    When I place my right thumb so that it rests on the rubber and prevents the camera from rotating counterclockwise when held with one hand, I can't reach the AF-ON buton.
    I gues my thumb is a little shorter than designed for.

4. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Pressing the AF-ON button becomes second nature after a while. Just keep picking up the camera several times a day to practice.

5. So much so that I even press it when using my MF lens:cool:

6. I love using AF-ON for focusing....feels weird to use the shutter release now.

7. Well even though I do forget about it I do like it. Practice, Practice. :smile:

Marlene