D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PhotogWannabe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Well, the long and the short of it is that I purchased a D300 and Nikkor 35 f2 today. It seems sooo much more complicated than my D80 but, at first glance, the high ISO images are so much nicer. The D300 has, if I understand what I'm looking at to be that, a hugely better dynamic range. Sheesh, what a wad of cash that was. I don't know how you D3 people do it who don't do photography for a living. (Not that I don't lust after a D3 but that will never happen unless a winning lotto ticket falls in my lap.)

I tried to make sure I stood in nearly the same spot for both pictures. Cameras were set on manual mode

D300 1600ISO f2 1/15s
    2640666243_4ea005ae1b_o.png

silly beggar changed positions while I was changing cameras and lenses

D80, 1600ISO f2 1/15s
    View attachment 222482

At the moment... :Love:

2. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Paul, the D300/35/2 is a winning combination! I use that combo all the time and love it. I did some senior portraits last night with that combo and the client loved them. The D300 is a highly complex camera, but once you know your way around it the camera becomes second nature.

One of my favorite features is the Active D-Lighting. I have mine set to normal. With ADL I don't blow highlights and have nice shadows. In post processing I sometimes need to add a bit of contrast.

As you mentioned the high ISO is just great and a very nice feature for natural light photography.
    Happy shooting, Bill P.

3. Congratulations Paul! Yes, it's a wad of cash, but the D300 is one heckuva photography tool. Enjoy the possibilities with your new camera!

4. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC

Thanks, Bill. A question for you - do you have Active D-Lighting on all the time or just when you think you might need it. If you have it on all the time is it unobtrusive; i.e., it doesn't show an effect in situations where it's not needed. Hopefully you understand what I'm asking. :smile:

Would you be able to show some of the senior pics you took with the 300/35?

5. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Paul, I keep the ADL on all the time....set to normal. I really don't know if that is the correct usage for ADL, but it works for me. I use it outside in the sun, with flash, in the studio with hot lights etc and it seems fine. Here are a couple of the senior pics I took in my home studio last night with my hot light setup. I used Expodisc to set my WB. I did add a bit of contrast, if memory serves, but just a little bit. Otherwise, straight out of the camera. Cheers, Bill P.

Paul.... I don't know how to attach photos.....

6. You need to link into an external image hosting such as flickr. Use the web address of your image between [​IMG] and it will show up as a picture in your post

7. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Thanks, DigitalHeMan, but that sounds too complicated for an old guy who is not a "tech guy"..... Cheers, Bill P.

8. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    This keeps me from posting pictures here too Bill! Wish we could just attach...

9. The primary difference between the samples is white balance. Each picture has a different color cast. Photoshop's Color Balance utility (Shift + Ctrl + B) corrects them, and they end up looking surprisingly similar. Once you apply Color Banance, you may be surprised at how well the d80 handled iso1600.

10. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Uncle Frank, you bum!! Where were you yesterday at 5:01 p.m. PDT? :biggrin:
    You could have saved me a swack of cash! Just kidding. The images were straight out of the camera with no tweaking. Doing the colour balance thing does give them both the same colour cast but if you were to see the originals you would see a LOT of noise in the arm of the chair and the fur closer to the chair arm in the D80 picture. The D300 is remarkably cleaner. I'll see if I can upload a crop of the colour corrected pictures to demonstrate.

11. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Here are some 66% crops of a part of the cat and a part of the armchair. SOOC and no tweaking other than stated.

2644012172_c946276bf7_o.png

View attachment 222487

12. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    The 35/2 may well be one of Nikon's most underrated lenses. I have a user condition, non "D" copy. Still, the color, contrast, sharpness leaves me scratching my head sometimes.