D300s or d7000?

I wanted to get some opinions-
You can only have 1 camera you shoot your kids soccer (reg size field). 50% middle school level basketball (read iso 3200) volleyball and some corporate events indoor 25% and then last 25% family, vacation etc. You have a 70-200 vr1, a 1.7x an 85mm 1.8 and sigma 17-50 2.8
Would you get a d300s or d7000. (d700 out due to soccer from lens options)

Both cameras should get the job done. It's a tradeoff between the better high ISO of the D7000 vs the faster frame rate, better buffer depth, and perhaps better AF system of the D300s...

At this time, I would probably save a couple hundred bucks and go with the D7000.

Cheers

Mike

Go with the D7000. The better sensor is worth it, and the AF of the D7000 is adequate enough for shooting your kids at sports.

Hell yes. I use them frequently. When I want to be artistic, I turn to the scene modes. When I want to be technical, I turn to the mighty M.

Interesting Garret. I posed that question on a thread here and the overwhelming response was that "no self respecting photographer would ever use these modes".
I think Desmond was the only one (besides myself) who admitted to ever using these mode settings.
I usually shoot in A or M, but when I'm in a spot and need to change settings fast, these mode (scene) settings are very handy. :cool:

Addressing the D300s vs D7000. There were some initial AF problems with the D7000 that would concern me. Lot's of complaints, not sure if Nikon has resolved this.

I picked up the D7000 I needed a new body (I have a D80) and was going back and fourth with the 300 and the 7000. I shoot many soccer games and a lot of motorcycle racing, I have not had any regret with my choice and my main lens is the 70-200 2.8 :biggrin:

I wanted to get some opinions-
You can only have 1 camera you shoot your kids soccer (reg size field). 50% middle school level basketball (read iso 3200) volleyball and some corporate events indoor 25% and then last 25% family, vacation etc. You have a 70-200 vr1, a 1.7x an 85mm 1.8 and sigma 17-50 2.8
Would you get a d300s or d7000. (d700 out due to soccer from lens options)

D7000. The D300/300s have marginal low-light capability....important for your indoor sports and event shooting. The D7000 is a whole stop faster, and its autofocus is sufficiently good to allow these uses.

I think that for everyone coming from a lesser body than D300, that the D7000 is the way to go. If you are used to D3S, you might find the D7000 be lacking, but not otherwise.

Another here for the D7000 at this point especially with a d300 replacement due in the fall and the lack of scene modes in the D300 :) I debated this same thing and decided on D7000 because of high ISO, frame rate at 5 or whatever it is is fine with me as I tend to not shoot many bursts even at sporting events.

I shoot 99% of the time in A, or M but yes, I use the Portrait mode for snaps at family parties/holidays etc. Its easy, brainless, I can hand the camera to friends or relatives and they can take some shots as well. Works really well on the D7k as the camera adjusts ISO to balance flash with ambient. Less post processing as well :)

Tried the snow mode on D7000 as well a couple of weeks ago and it worked great for snowy landscape. Snow was white not gray or blue, etc. I cannot comment on the rest of them however.

WOW, I feel so much better now that I have come out of the closet.

Be patient and get the D9000 (or D400 or whatever it's going to be called).

Interesting Garret. I posed that question on a thread here and the overwhelming response was that "no self respecting photographer would ever use these modes".
I think Desmond was the only one (besides myself) who admitted to ever using these mode settings.
I usually shoot in A or M, but when I'm in a spot and need to change settings fast, these mode (scene) settings are very handy. :cool:

Addressing the D300s vs D7000. There were some initial AF problems with the D7000 that would concern me. Lot's of complaints, not sure if Nikon has resolved this.

I have a D300 simply because it doesnt have scene modes. But really because to me it makes me feel like Im holding something, the plastic bodies never had that feel to me.
I have nothing against the D7K just isnt a camera I would have. But as others have said it is the newer sensor and performs slightly better at the higher ISOs. Though I dont see much of a difference.

I have a D300 simply because it doesnt have scene modes. But really because to me it makes me feel like Im holding something, the plastic bodies never had that feel to me.
I have nothing against the D7K just isnt a camera I would have. But as others have said it is the newer sensor and performs slightly better at the higher ISOs. Though I dont see much of a difference.

The D7000 is not plastic :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom