D300s rubber grip

The rubber grip on my D300s is starting to come adrift. The same happened, but to a much larger extent, with my D200 which was sent back to be repaired twice and resulted in me being without a camera body for three of the first 12 months of it's life and the problem was never really fixed "like new" again.
The D300s is still under guarantee, would you send it back or just squirt some super glue to fix the problem ? If I sent it back at least I do have a back up body this time.
The reason that this happens is that I have just returned from sunnier climes in the Gambia. The glue they use won't take the temperatures they have there and yet Nikon sales are not restricted to cold northern countries.
Anyone else experienced this problem ?
cheers Dave

The rubber grip is very much attached to the body still Al so if I act now it might stop it lifting elsewhere.
The problem with the D200 was that the rubber expands once it comes adrift and started interfering with the command dial.
cheers Dave

After some consideration, and the fact that the rubber has now became very detached revealing metal panels and screws I decided that superglue was not an option and decided to send it back to Nikon under it's two year warranty. Having first contacted Nikon for details of where to send it, and to get assurances that they will not take months to return it ( as happened when I left it up to the local retailer with my D200) I posted it last Monday at a cost of £10 to me. Today, I got a letter with an invoice for £87 to cover repair. Nikon have initially claimed that this is not covered by the warranty as it's a cosmetic repair. I am disputing this and have requested they get back to me with someone in authority to argue the case.
The rubber grip is an integral part of the camera and presumably part of it's weather proofing. It has no signs of damage to it whatsoever. It's not my fault it's falling apart, they should be able to find a suitable adhesive. Nikon cameras are, after all, designed for use all over the world and a sunny day in The Gambia doesn't qualify as extreme conditions in my opinion.
I wait for a reply but in the meantime I am really annoyed that they are querying this. I have spent well in excess of £10k on their equipment in the last four years.
A very disgruntled admirer of the Canon 7D
cheers Dave

I have had a further conversation with a Nikon representative. She has confirmed that in their opinion, the grip coming off is now a wear and tear issue which isn't covered by warranty. I dispute this still.
Their stance is that if it was a manufacturing problem they would have had other claimants.I am pretty sure that I am not alone, it's happened to the two camera bodies I have owned
Can anyone else add their experience of similar problems ?
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

What are you doing to have your grip become detached on now 2 bodies in a row?

No one else is reporting these types of issues and you have now 2 completely different bodies that have the grip detaching itself in that manner. Time to think how is your specific hand holding technique affecting your camera body grip?

I grip my camera body very firm (death grips) and all 3 of my camera bodies I have held the same way and through over 50k clicks in less than a year not once did the grip on anybody show signs of detaching.

not saying you are not experiencing a true manufacturer defect (and definitely not saying just because I haven’t had this problem that you cannot) but just curious as to how 2 completely separate bodies from your ownership have showed the same exact sign of wear which would lead one to question how are you holding your cameras in a way that can cause this.

Just looking at your lens line up in your signature you have a pretty good line up of long lenses so you must have your camera outdoors a lot which it may be possible that you are experiencing some type of odd condensation issue if you do a lot of wild life photography? But then again you would also be using mono and tri pods with those longer lenses as well so you may not be holding the camera as often either.

Thanks for the reply.
The 70-200 hasn't been on the D300s yet, it usually has either the 500mm which is tripod mounted or the 300mm which is hand held with the lens foot.
The problem with both bodies has been exposure to direct sunlight in hotter climates than we have here in the UK.The glue melts in and the rubber grip comes away.
I feel sure that a Nikon camera body should be able to withstand climates in the region of 30-35 degrees without too much problem. cheers Dave

I have had a further conversation with a Nikon representative. She has confirmed that in their opinion, the grip coming off is now a wear and tear issue which isn't covered by warranty. I dispute this still.
Their stance is that if it was a manufacturing problem they would have had other claimants.I am pretty sure that I am not alone, it's happened to the two camera bodies I have owned
Can anyone else add their experience of similar problems ?
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

The problem of the leather peeling off the body of Nikon cameras is not something new. I have no questions in my mind that it seems the fault of the glue they use at the factory. Never I saw or heard someone to talk about leather peeling off the bodies of film cameras.
I have repaired a D200 and my D2H affected with this problem and I live in Miami where temperatures and humidity are high in summer.
Nikon knows perfectly well the problem. I know when a camera is sent in to them for repairs they usually replace the leather but I do not really know how they handle individual cases when someone like you complain about it.
For reasons like yours I do not tend to use Nikon for repairs as I used to do in the past and today, when I need to repair a lens or camera (rare indeed) I go to an independent authorized repair station and we have one right here in North Miami called Southern Photo Technical Services. I had minor problems with my D2H and they did an excellent job at a reasonable price.
I do not know how a complain like yours is handled here in USA but to me it is ridiculous not to repair the leather under warranty.
By the way, when you are done using the camera in a hot climate clean it thoroughly with a damp rag and let it dry thoroughly in a well ventilated place before placing it back. I also use a desiccant to store the camera and lenses.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks for the response and advice William.
First some good news for me, Nikon have agreed to repair my D300s as an act of goodwill. They maintain that this is wear and tear and that my camera shows evidence of fairly heavy use and in outdoor locations where it has been exposed to the elements. They have told me some of the screws are showing signs of corrosion ( I didn't spot anything like that, the screws are hidden beneath the rubber grip) and that I should have it serviced. I agreed that they should go ahead and do that at my expense ( that's my act of goodwill)
At the end of the day this whole episode wasn't just about the cost ( £87= $144 plus shipping of £17) it became to me, all about faith and trust and brand loyalty.
My D200 suffered the same fate so when I saw the D300s came with a 2 year warranty I was prepared to put my trust in Nikon again. I didn't expect them to renage on the deal.
I have spent a small fortune on new Nikon gear since I started this hobby 4 or 5 yrs ago, I estimate approximately $19000 although the money shouldn't make any difference really, everyone should be treated the same. I am certain of one day adding an FX camera, the D3s or similar, and a 600mmf4VR plus other bits of kit but my faith in Nikon has been shaken by their attitude.
We in the UK only get a 1 year warranty with most of the product range no matter what the price.If you invest in this type of equipment you are certainly going to be using it outdoors although , as an amateur I choose to go out only when the weather is fine !
Brand loyalty is a two way thing. Virtually everyone in the Cafe goes out of their way to promote Nikon gear. Personal recommendation is the most powerful advertisement you can get. Only 2 weeks ago I purchased the new 70-200f2.8VR11 because of the recommendation it was given here as being the most appropriate for my intended use.
When the company you have not only spent a large percentage of your savings with, but encouraged and achieved others to do so as well, appears to distance themselves the moment you have a problem it leaves a rather nasty taste I am afraid to say.
cheers Dave

I agree that the rubber lifting should not be considered wear and tear. Now if you wore through the rubber to the metal, then that's a different story. :)

So how do you like the 70-200? Did Nikon earn any brand loyalty from you with that purchase?

The rubber on the D300s looks like new, besides it was coming adrift on both sides of the body !
To be honest my reaction to the 70-200 has been a bit underwhelming (remembering that my last two purchases went from 80-400 to 300mm and then 500mm which were significant changes) I have only been able to test it on the D200. AF seems fast even with a 1.7TC but IQ isn't too good when it comes to sharpness, but that also applies to my 300f2.8 and 500mm f4 as well. I think the superior number of AF points and more MP's on the D300s should make a big difference.
I was warned that the bokeh on the VR11 was not as good as the VR1 and I must say, it's not as good as I'd hoped. Still, early days yet and I have hardly used it.
cheers Dave

All's well that ends well ! Camera body back today with a complimentary service too.
Their appraisal still maintained the damage was down to wear and tear and exposure to the elements. Evidence of dust and sand present. Well there would be, where the grip has come away, dust and sand would be trapped in the glue !
Anyway, 70,000 clicks and it's like new again. Hope it stays this way.Having just tried a couple of shots the difference between the D300 and the D200 is like chalk and cheese.
It's good to have it back !
cheers Dave

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom