D3s err

D3S has started displaying ERR in the top LCD display. It is very intermittent, and seems to be more frequent when the camera is hot. It has done it with 2 different lenses, so I don't think it is a lens issue. Turning the camera off, and back on will reset the ERR, and it only appears after taking an exposure. It will continue to take exposures with the ERR, and they look fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Thank you Rob.

hahaa, you're welcome!! they dont call me capt obvious for nothing...

but seriously, thats weird that you can take shots after the ERR message. when this happened with my d300, the whole camera froze/locked up. it was a one-time freak occurrence though...

hahaa, you're welcome!! they dont call me capt obvious for nothing...

but seriously, thats weird that you can take shots after the ERR message. when this happened with my d300, the whole camera froze/locked up. it was a one-time freak occurrence though...

Thanks again Rob. Yes, the ERR doesn't blink, and the camera will continue to take photos without a problem. And the ERR is very intermittent.

I cleaned the lens mount, and lens contacts contacts with DeoxIT. I also did the 2-button hardware reset with a fully charged battery, as suggested by the Nikonusa website. I will keep you posted if this fixed the problem.

Could be anything, my first guess is also the contacts. After that, my next guess, based on the error always occurring after an exposure, is a shutter issue. The D2H bodies were notorious for showing an Err after the first shutter release and then shooting all day without further Err reports. I bought one at a discount that way, and immediately sent it to Nikon Repair. Even though it didn't have to be repaired, I hate any unresolved Err condition, as it means I cannot 100% count on the camera. It cost me $365 to have the shutter replaced, but the error stopped permanently.

I cleaned the lens mount, and lens contacts contacts with DeoxIT. I also did the 2-button hardware reset with a fully charged battery, as suggested by the Nikonusa website. I will keep you posted if this fixed the problem.

That was going to be my recommendation - DeoxIT

Could be anything, my first guess is also the contacts. After that, my next guess, based on the error always occurring after an exposure, is a shutter issue. The D2H bodies were notorious for showing an Err after the first shutter release and then shooting all day without further Err reports. I bought one at a discount that way, and immediately sent it to Nikon Repair. Even though it didn't have to be repaired, I hate any unresolved Err condition, as it means I cannot 100% count on the camera. It cost me $365 to have the shutter replaced, but the error stopped permanently.

That was going to be my recommendation - DeoxIT

Thank you Mike, and Greg. I've taken about 600 photos since the cleaning & reset, no ERR so far.

Latest threads

Top Bottom