D3s in bad lighting

I recently swallowed hard and bought a D3s body. It will replace my beloved D700, which I'll be selling soon. Although the D700 has continued to amaze me with its image quality, it is true the D3s is even more amazing.

Case in point: Yesterday my wife, our next-door neighbor, and I went to a wine tasting event. I brought along the D3s with Nikkor 24-70/2.8 attached. At first when we arrived I thought any photos would be disappointing, due to the miserable lighting. The overhead lights were some sort of industrial lights, which gave off a greenish/yellowish light. On top of that, it was mostly at bad angles, and frankly too few.

Of course I shot anyway, in between tasting some really surpisingly nice Minnesota wines. At ISO 6400 and the 24-70 mostly at f/4, I got some nice quality, I think. Not terribly exciting images, but hey - it was fun playing with the D3s anyway.

Here's an example. These guys have a winery in northern Minnesota, where the summer lasts for about 90 minutes (ok, slight exaggeration).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a crop:

I've been processing the RAW images in Lightroom 3. My impression so far is the D3s seems to hold detail, blacks, and color better at higher ISO's than its predecessors. Nothing scientific, but that's my sense. Also, matrix metering did a really nice job in difficult lighting.

Oh, and the wine was very good, too. :biggrin:

ISO 6400 that's actually usable - the times they are a changing, eh?
huh? 6,400 on a D700 is pretty good and perfectly useable. i've gone up to 8,000 on my D3s and been well impressed with the results.

indoor netball @ 8,000ISO, 1/800s @ f2.0? works for me.

the old T-Max 3,200 b&w film could be pushed three stops quite happily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No doubt the D700 is quite excellent, Sambo. I loved mine. The D3s is just a step better at high ISO's, that's all.

lol, nope.

it came with a funky stick to hold it up for me and a box i can sit or stand on along with a lens cap i could use as a hat.

Here's a test shot with my newly acquired D3s!
50mm f/1.4D
f/2.5 1/60th ISO 12,800

It's the top of the range body of it's type you will not find better, the guy foremost in your photo looks like he is the chief wine tester from the glow of his cheeks, LOL.

D3s, ISO 12,800, 24-70 f/2.8

D3s, ISO 12,800, f/4.5, 70-200 f/2.8 VR @ 160mm
I used f/4.5 because I wanted more DOF.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the top of the range body of it's type you will not find better, the guy foremost in your photo looks like he is the chief wine tester from the glow of his cheeks, LOL.
He was a character - sure was passionate about his wine, though. Heck, by that time at the event, I'm sure MY cheeks were glowing a bit too! :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom