D3s V D750 @ Low light / Higher Iso

All things considered, I should purchase a D750 for low light /high iso work, as apposed to a D3s. I think??? I am presuming the newer "Sensor" will produce better images, but will it?

Wedding work is what they are required for, so I am very interested in the dynamic range for the white dress V / & Black suits combo.

Would appreciate any experience from those that have used both.

Light levels are generally low for Uk weddings, don't get many sunny weddings in Wales! Tend to use a lot of Fill flash.
Would like to be able to boost Iso to 6400 + for indoor use with no flash.
I believe both are very capable of using iso 3200+ with out the need for much, if any post processing to produce jpg proof images (generally 6x4 prints or digital viewing only)
I currently only go to 6400 with D7100 and then when only really have too, prefer to keep the d7100 to 1600 or lower.
They are similar prices in the uk, but of course D750 is new, D3s would be 2nd hand.
Condition is not too important to me, they are working tools however.
So for example a d3s with 150,000 clicks to me would be starting at the same point as a brand new D750 shutter wise.
Average clicks for any camera is only 30,000 a year for me.

Output print wise is not going to be more than 12 x 16 inch, most photos will be on a 10 x 10 page so 12mp is more than enough. I don't tend to frame with a future need to crop.

Video on the d750 may be a handy back up, but currently use D7100 video for my limited needs.
Also have d7000 for back up video.

The FPS rate is no real deal breaker, 6/7 fps is more than enough for the confetti shot.

So most things point to D750. But I kind of like the idea of the d3s, being a long time D2 user.

Hope you can help with anything I may have missed.

Thanks

If you can't find a good deal on a D3S...from what I've seen the D750 is more than capable for low light wedding work. I was debating the same earlier this month, but stumbled on a low shutter count, mint D3S for way less than a retail D750+MB-D16 grip, so I opted for the D3S instead. I could of gone either way!

I recently printed 11x14 photos from my D800 and old D700...and the old 12mp still looks good at those print sizes, so I don't think megapixels will be an issue.

Yes the Mp is not an issue. More is always better, but my 2nd shooter owns a D800. I have used it on occasion, but find it too much for my needs.

We did a series of prints a few years ago from a wedding in an "average" Church wedding, photographing the ceremony from the rear of the Centre pew.
D700 + D2hs, both using 70-300VR Nikon lens. Shots taken the same time at iso 800,1600 and 3200.Printed to A3.
Up to iso 800, every one (customers) picked the D2hs. prints as the best!
iso 1600 and 60% went D700.
Only at iso 3200 did the d2hs loose the plot lol

Everything says the D750 is the Head choice.
Just something from the heart is drawing mw back to a Pro body, thus d3s ticks the boxes.

However, having just checked shutter counts for the first time in some months, maybe over a year, I might just go for both as the d7000 that is currently working may only have a year or so left on the shutter?

I had not seen it, but it was very informative and has helped convince me the newer sensor / camera was probably going to be the choice.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Latest threads

Top Bottom