D3s???

D3s w/~52K clicks or new D800 for a little extra $

• D3s

Votes: 65 90.3%
  • D800

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
If you had a chance to buy a D3s right now with ~52K clicks for $2400 would you jump on it or would you get a new D800 for a little extra?

Real Name
John
If you had a chance to buy a D3s right now with ~52K clicks for $2400 would you jump on it or would you get a new D800 for a little extra?
I'd take the D3s instantly for that price!

Not only does the D800 cost more new, it doesn't have a vertical grip built in, you'll have to buy more memory cards, new hard drives and maybe even a faster computer to process the files...

I have both, they really are for different types of shots. I use the D800 more in that it suits the type of photography I have been doing lately, ie Landscapes, Large birds, and the like.

But, if you are shooting in low light or fast moving objects in medium light then the D3s is the only way to go.

So really get both, you will be poor but happy like me.

cheers,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone. I don't have a particular shooting style. Sometimes I do landscapes, sometime street candids, sometimes sports,... It would be nice to have this along with my D7100 to cover all bases.

I'd take the D3s instantly for that price!

Not only does the D800 cost more new, it doesn't have a vertical grip built in, you'll have to buy more memory cards, new hard drives and maybe even a faster computer to process the files...
Yup

I have a friend who is shooting with the D800 and I uses the D3S. Sometime he is envious of me, when I am shooting nightime sports at F4 and 8000 ISO.. And somtime I am envious of him when I see the detail he can get in a bird's feathers.. But overall for the majority of my shooting the D3S is the clear winner.

I will face a similar dilemma in a few months myself --- I settle on the D800, and read another thread/article, and I am certain that I want the D3s. In this case, I would definitely get the D3s if you find yourself shooting in poor light indoors.

It really depends what you need:
If a superb and fast AF as well as stunning high ISO performance is important, go for the D3s.
If you need the 36mp, the possibility to crop intensively, the magnificent qualities for landscape, still- and portraiture photography, go for the D800.

Cheers
Mike

Like others have said, it depends on what you shoot and what you want in terms of features from a body (eg frame rate etc). I was in the exact same position, with the exact same choice and chose the D3s and have been thankful every day - but then my primary usage is wildlife & birds, so it suits me.

The best news is both are fantastic (in their own ways), so enjoy whichever you decide on.

I would be very wary about a D3S for $2400. If it is a legitimate deal, the D3S is the way to go. As many has stated, the D3S is a fantastic camera.

Good luck...JL

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom