1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3X is it for real?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by gofast, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Found this on dpreview, can this be for real?

With a price tag of about 5500 US, that sure won't be cheap!

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Dunno if the specifics are accurate (picture and price), but the camera is inevitable. So is the D90 (probably).

One thing is for sure - if they sell it at msrp $5500US, Canon will be left REELING, as their competitive body is well over $7000US. In fact, at $5500, I may have to work it into next year's budget! I'll just have to let that 200-400VR wait a little longer :) 

Can't wait to see how this plays out at Photokina...

3. no way it'll be less than 6.5K USD
    if the D3 started at 5K.... the D3X will be AT LEAST 1.5K more.... initially

4. $5500 would be great, actually - I was counting on 6-7.

Sean

5. I'm wondering how much more the price of the D2Xs is going to drop, that would be the best time to go shopping...

6. VP,

It depends on what you want to do, I would think. At 24mp, if true, it is not likely to have some of the same capabilities as the D3. The D2X's are pretty good as they are, but if you look at some of Thom Hogan's speculations, he's suggesting that this will not be a PJ camera like the D3, but more studio oriented.

Like you, I have a D200 and I'm thinking that for some of what I shoot, a D2X might do it...so shopping might be in order for some us.

But first, unless the deals are really good, I need some new glass.

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I'm pretty amazed that the 2Xs is still topping two grand (in most cases, anyway).

The 3X will definitely NOT be a sports or pj camera, but that won't necessarily mean it'll be a studio camera, either. Landscapers, architectural, macro, underwater, and most nature photogs are going to be foaming at the mouth over this thing - myself included! I'm super anxious to start seeing some leaked images from it. If it one-ups the D3/700 in lower ISO availability (25, 50, 100), retains that film-like feel those two bodies are delivering, AND gives us equal high ISO performance at under 6K, I'll just have to figure out how to get one!

8. Mark,

Talking about deals, I've seen some pretty good ones on the for sale forum, but they involve the D2X.
    So is it worth waiting for a bit more of a price drop on the D2Xs or get the D2X with a lens already.
    Something I've been contemplating for a few weeks now.

9. Don't be so sure....I have it on good word the D3X will go 13 frames per second in DX mode.....If so it will be a sport and wild-life shooters dream, as it will also give the option of backing off to full frame at about 6 frames per second....and give resolution that will outperform a D300 in DX mode.

I personally think this makes a lot of sense to me.....

I also ran into a Canon Rep which just got back from Hawaii...and if I understood him correctly, there is no new 5D Mark II.....but Canon is adding a 50D to the line-up which will be a Full Frame version of the 40D, with no intentions of dropping the 40D. He said he actually had it in his hands.

Personally I am hoping for a D3s as Thom Hogan has predicted....He is speculating the D3X for the end of this year. Maybe the Javitz Show in NY? My dealer has told me there is a 24mp in the works, but he has no idea when it is coming. It looks like Hogan may be right.

You may not know I have sold off my 1Ds III, as I really think I don't need that many pixels at all anyway.....especially when 90% of my work deals with sending files via FTP......100 files takes about 8 hours with a real good connection.

GenoP

10. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Well, I'm definitely NOT sure! :) 
    I had actually imagined cropped frame rates would be quick, but 13? If that's accurate info, well, smack my a$$ and call me Sally! I was also counting on a resolution comparable to my trusty D200, which for me, would make adding a third body (dx) unnecessary. This hypothetical body along with my 700 would give the best of all worlds - low and high ISO performance, beautiful film-like images, reliable high performance AF, reasonable to blazing frame rates, super wide angles all the way to extra super telephoto, and a whole lot more that we don't know about, yet. If Nikon would give us a new version of the 28/1.4, and I can't imagine what photographer (Nikon or otherwise) wouldn't be drooling down their shirts...

Photokina or first of the year, I'm stuck until later next year, regardless (though I'd hardly call using the 700 "stuck"). I just want them to tell us already!!

11. For those of you doubting this, while it really depends on the speed of the readout the sensor can achieve, in terms of data moving a 24.4MP camera at 6fps would mean moving 146MP/second off the sensor. Assuming 24.4MP being 6048x4032px at 36mm sensor width (FX), this would result in 4032 pixels across at 24mm sensor width, which is DX. That would result in a 10.8MP DX crop, which at 13 frames per second is just shy of 141MP/sec. So that is possible in terms of data rate to the processing electronics, but we can't be sure the sensor itself can read that fast.

Resolution itself will be as you can see just shy of the D300 in DX mode, but per pixel sharpness and realized acuity may exceed it if the AA filter and sensor are designed appropriately.

Of course where we have to be careful is in the mechanics of the camera. 13FPS may require mirror lock up. Mirror blackout time on the D3 is the fastest in the world, at 74ms. Multiply that by 13 and you've got 962ms- that's 962/1000 of every second with compromised viewing. In order to achieve similar percentage of blackout time as the D3 gets at 9fps (where AF and metering are maintained) viewfinder blackout time would need to be reduced to around 50ms, or alternatively use a pellicle mirror to maintain constant viewing. Otherwise, 13fps would be limited to with the mirror locked up and no AF or metering during the burst, and could also require the lens remain stopped down if they can't move the mechanism fast enough.

For the record, the fastest ever Nikon was the F3H of 1998, which shot at 13.5fps and used a pellicle mirror. I believe it may have also required stopping down in advance, but I can't verify this at the moment.

12. The new casio compact does 60fps at 6 megapixels
    , 600 fps in reasonable video size ....... maye the newer DSLR's won't flip the mirror all the time , maybe they could also use live-view and electronic shutters ??? [ I don't know the maths of it as you do but just a suggestion ]

13. 1128

Nov 11, 2005
    My Guess

Hi Café Family ,

The pics and text from the german mag are nothing more than a prediction/guess as it is written in the text.

Sure there will be a high resolution of the D3, but I don't think it will happen at Photokina this year.

I somehow have a feeling that Nikon will for the D3 series adopt nearly the same procedure they already adopted with the D1 ...

First comes, as we all already know the "plain" D3

Then, also already known, the buffer upgrade direction D3H

Next I think we will see the launch of the regular D3H, could be at this years Photokina, at sale price of actual D3 + price buffer upgrade.

And finally will come the high resolution body probably named D3X, priced +- $6500 to $7000.

But perhaps Nikon will even go a step further and shock :biggrin: the world in offering not just an upgrade to H specs but also an upgrade to X specs, so every user could "customize" his body to his "needs" even the early adopters...

So what do you think ? :confused: 

Pascal

14. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Hi Pascal and welcome to the forum.
    I asked and Nikon (USA general manager) stated that the buffer upgrade will not be available off the shelf. If you want it, you buy a D3 and send it in.
    I can't see a 'H' model being released which would then kill D3 sales and then have them release a D3X which would kill D3 sales. Even in todays 'upgrade' climate I would think the D3 has at least another years of life in it.
    In my opinion D3 = 'H' model, D3X = hi-res model for sale at Christmas (time to start writing a letter to Santa saying what a good boy/girl you've been this year :biggrin: ).

15. Anyone care to speculate when the price of the D3 will drop? I'm patiently waiting for the D3x to pressure a price drop on the D3. I would love to scoop a new D3 for around 3500 or is this just wishfull thinking??.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

16. While I think the idea of a 24MP D3x is fantastic, I can't imagine processing the RAW files from it. I'm sure that there will be many people waiting in line for such a camera, but for me, the files from the D3 suit me just fine.

17. 1128

Nov 11, 2005
    Hi,

Adrian thanks for the kind welcome :smile:

Being a lurker for a long long time, I think I now owe the title " Slowest poster ever " :biggrin:

So as of your sources it seems that Nikon is, at least for the "H" model of the D3, already on a modular sheme.

I don't think they would sell less bodys, I would rather think that they would even sell more as the starting price in the D3 system would be lower.

In case of an upgradeable 2 or 3 model D3 most parts still remain the same, so on one side Nikon could lift pressure off of the factory, but on the other hand their tech/repair facilities would be overrun.

But I think as you do that time for the X has not yet come.

And also as RKnecht notes it would be very very tough to process such large files.

Beeing an amateur, making 0 cent out of my hobby, I neither have a need for an high MP D3.

Having done the switch from a D2H to a D2X I on one side was thrilled by the enormous detail that can be captured by the X , but on the other hand I found out the hard way that the X was way way more demanding on technique ...:frown:

So I think this time I will go for a basic D3, and not wait for the new X and invest more in glass ...

Greetings,

Pascal

18. For me, when I was using the 1Ds Mark III, the biggest problem was not processing speed, but however transferring speed......

To send that size file over an Internet line was totally ridiculous, and I did not want to start FedEx shipping CDs all over....

The next big issue was noise, as the 1Ds III was no cleaner than a 5D.....

The camera that felt best was the 1D III, and the files were very clean, but I had a hard time trusting the focus. The D700 seems to fix all my problems, so I am headed back to Nikon.

I truly hope there is a D3s, just an upgrade adding the larger buffer, the sensor cleaning, and the LCD info including the level.....

If not, I may just go for a second D700. So far it's the best camera I have ever used.

GenoP

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
    1/80s f/4.0 at 38.0mm iso400
    original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/160s f/3.2 at 26.0mm iso800
    View attachment 241585

1/250s f/3.5 at 24.0mm iso1600
    View attachment 241586

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro
    1/250s f/3.5 at 105.0mm iso1600
    View attachment 241587

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro
    1/200s f/4.0 at 105.0mm iso800
    View attachment 241588

19. Hmmmm, could the date be changed for early 2009?
    Some more rumors....

20. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Geno,

I respect your extensive experience immensely. Thank you for laying all the cards out on the table. I am considering buying a D700 to share the DX lenses, especially the 14-24 and 24-70, with the D3. And it would enable my wife to use these lenses for the first time, as my D3 is too heavy for her to handle.

Your strong endorsement of the D700 is really appreciated. Thank you, Geno. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.