D4 en-route - Pictures added

My D3 was such a great body that I worried about being disappointed with the D4. That lasted about a nanosecond. While the improved high ISO performance (over that of the D3) is nice - it is the autofocus performance that makes it for me.

I had come to expect a certain percentage of missed focus shots. I've used Nikon's autofocus since my F4 and continued through the D1,D2,D3 series bodies. As good as Nikon's AF is - it is not perfect. The D4 may make me re-evaluate that position. It almost never misses focus. In low light if I can see the subject well enough to compose the shot - the D4 will achieve focus.

Enjoy yours.

one of the reasons I switched was for the hi iso
p1387922068-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the D3 limits me to about 260th second at f2.8 under these limiting conditions

& extra frame rate

p1548347910-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• p1387922068-3.jpg
    p1387922068-3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 92
turned up yesterday & took it for a spin last night...can't believe the buffer capability & the ISO at 6400!!!!!

also feels less of a brick than my D3...not sure if that is real or just perception - will give it a workout over the weekend at the NJ Southern Zone trap shoot.

turned up yesterday & took it for a spin last night...can't believe the buffer capability & the ISO at 6400!!!!!

also feels less of a brick than my D3...not sure if that is real or just perception - will give it a workout over the weekend at the NJ Southern Zone trap shoot.

David I still shoot with my D3 and you are correct alout your brick comment. The D3 feels more solid and robust than the D4, especially the CF door. HigsISO is pretty amazing, although the D3s is just as good. The real difference is the AF and tracking capabilities in low light. The D4 is just amazing in this regard.

Have fun with your new camera, you're gonna love it.

I was very happy with my D3 but got the D4 just for something new. I didn't care about higher iso capabilities but the D4 is better when it comes to fast auto focus and having the joy stick to easily control the focus point.
Congrats on your purchase.

Real Name
Randy
"but" ???

Randy you are the king of suspense and understatement, lol :smile:

But the d800 produces better images and:smile:

I almost hate to say this since I own a D4 and 2 d800's, the D7100 tops them both

Some disclaimers

Not for sports....D4's fps is important
Not for LS....D800 is FF so wide is wide
Not for low light, high ISO

Last edited by a moderator:
my son rented a D4 for his sisters graduation and he shows at iso 10K, clean and beautiful.
with a 24-70, it was a beautiful thing.
renting it was fantastic for the graduation, indoors.
renting was terrible as now we both want a D4, but I will settle for a D7100 for now.

my son rented a D4 for his sisters graduation and he shows at iso 10K, clean and beautiful.
with a 24-70, it was a beautiful thing.
renting it was fantastic for the graduation, indoors.
renting was terrible as now we both want a D4, but I will settle for a D7100 for now.

:) just re-read what Randy posted just above that will make you feel better!

But the d800 produces better images and:smile:

I almost hate to say this since I own a D4 and 2 d800's, the D7100 tops them both

Well that is interesting! That bodes well for the mythical D400 if one ever shows up, which I am rooting for. :wink:

yes... will be very happy with a d7100.. I trust Randy 1000%.. and if he states its amazing.. thats good enough for me..

Wow, if you think there is a body in Nikon's line that will beat the D4, you better think again. If you feel that way, you have never pushed the D4 to its limit. D3s rocks, D4's AF has improved. The AF with 2X TC acquires and focuses so fast and accurate. On the 600mm f/4, no manual adjustment is needed.

Real Name
Randy
Wow, if you think there is a body in Nikon's line that will beat the D4, you better think again. If you feel that way, you have never pushed the D4 to its limit. D3s rocks, D4's AF has improved. The AF with 2X TC acquires and focuses so fast and accurate. On the 600mm f/4, no manual adjustment is needed.

No need to think again, I've thought about this quite a lot.
I shoot high school sports at night, you shoot wildlife in Florida, I'm quite sure I have pushed the D4 as much as anyone and it is an amazing camera.

I am not interested in using the 2x tc on any f/4 lens, way too much loss in IQ.

I have never adjusted any lens so again what this has to do with the D4 I don't understand.

1st of all I am talking pure IQ, although all 3 bodies share the same AF, I am not talking about shooting at iso10k, or at night, etc

When you own and shoot a d4, d800 and a d7100 I will be very interested in your opinion:biggrin:

Last week in Florida I was shooting next to a guy with a D800 + 600vr and he asked me what I was shooting. When I told him a d7100 + 80-400 and I left my d4, d800, 300,400 and 500vr at home he asked me why. When I told him the combo I had would produce better images in a place like Florida he raised his nose at me. I bet he chocked on the herons and bitterns I shot.....

To me this is not about anything but IQ given what you are shooting....
Wanna shoot landscapes the D800 is the way to go, awesome dr and its fx
Wanna shoot sports, the d4 is the answer, amazing fps and high ISO performance
Wanna shoot wildlife the d7100 is the winner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom