Review D4 First Impressions

I'll start this off by saying that I'm coming from a D2x and D300 so I'm 2 pro model generations behind. Some of what I see might have been changed for the D3. I got a call from Allan's Camera late Tuesday that they had a D4 for me. I had been on their waiting list since a Long Island dealer left me hanging in early Feb. I had called Allan's a few weeks ago and was way down on the list so I had resigned myself to not seeing one for several more months. I'll give Allan's credit, I called them back a little before 5pm local and they shipped it out that day (said they asked the UPS driver to wait a few minutes while they boxed it up) and didn't charge me shipping. very good service!

The D4 is still shipping in the USA with the Sony XQD card and reader. Card is 16 GB. First thing I did was unpack the battery and charger and got that going. Battery is smaller than the EN-EL4a and didn't take as long to charge. This could indicate that it isn't going to last as long but that has yet to be determined.
Ergonomically, I'm just going off of initial impression but it will take having it in my hands all day to really say for sure how it feels. I like the new position of the shutter button, feels better right away. I don't like the extra large bump out for the vert grip, it juts out too far and hits the side of my thumb in an awkward position. The smaller bump out on the D2x suited my hand better.
Menus are familair, though there are some new additions and changes. It'll take some time to sort through it all. Button layout is also familiar but different enough to require thought. Many of the external changes are no big deal and will become automatic over time.
AF seems fast, wicked fast. It was long after dark and the house lights were dim but this beast still locked AF instantly. More testing in daylight is needed but it looks to be a winner.
Overall, the D4 is a marvel of engineering and a true beast. As my first FX body, it'll take some getting used to but the capabilities are mind-numbing. I think this is going to be fun!

I actually found that extra bit for thumb resting quite useful. It seems a bit natural to sort of rest my thumb against it. Even for those coming from D3 bodies will find better ergonomics.

I have longer fingers (and thumb) so it hits lower on my thumb closer to the hand, just below the outmost joint. That makes it uncomfortable for me. Otherwise, it feels fine.

Using the D4 outside yesterday, the AF is superb. I also like being able to crank up the ISO to shoot macro in the shade without worrying about noise. Looks like a rainy weekend so I'll have some time to sit down with the IB and figure out the AF. Oh, 10fps sounds like a machine gun.....good way to max your shutter count in little time.

Congrats and enjoy your D4....I love it, the camera is just superb! Got mine from Allen as well in fact been dealing with him for years, probably the best camera place East of the Mississippi! :wink:

Wait till you try the D4 with converters....they sure kicked that up a notch as well!!

Haven't had much time to play but here's a shot from the garden:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I got a RRS plate for the bottom and with the added material, the previously mentioned thumb position on the vertical grip has changed enough so that it's now more comfortable.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom