D4 + sigma 120-300 OS

Real Name
Randy
f/2.8

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice captures Randy.
Is the focus zeroing in on the helmet and face guard more than the face?
That zoom must be really handy.
Are you as happy with the image quality as with your Nikon 300VR?
What do you think?
Fred

French-Canadian from Montréal, living in Austria

Hi Randy,

I like very much your shots!…specially the third one… Intensive!

My question is since you have this fantastic D4, how can this lens suffice you?
The pics are good because you did your part of the work… but I just think that
this lens is not supporting your effort!

Or am I missing something?

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks Fred & Kodiak

I'm not sure why those didn't look as good here as they did on my LCD

I suspect it was the file size causing a resize here. I just switched to ZF and I tried posting ZF XXL's...so I've changed the post to just large versions

Anyway in PP the images look very good, as good as 300vr images.

Most of these are larger crops that normal for me. I usually shoot FB with the 400vr. Since these were scrimmages I was able to get in the 'coaches box' which got me much closer to the offense so I shot the 1230-300. I would never shoot the 120-300 or 300vr for normal football game. But I am still not used to the reverse zoom direction on sigma's and on several of the sequences with action coming at me I was actually zooming in vs out. I was watching the FL MM in the LR info and as the runner got closer the mm got smaller, I actually chuckled when I saw it. I wonder why in the world sigma made such an odd decision.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Nice captures Randy.
Is the focus zeroing in on the helmet and face guard more than the face?
That zoom must be really handy.
Are you as happy with the image quality as with your Nikon 300VR?
What do you think?
Fred
at 300 f2.8, i dont think anybody could tell the difference between a shot with the 300vr at f2.8 and the 120-300 at f2.8.

Real Name
Colin Carter

Hi Randy,

I like very much your shots!…specially the third one… Intensive!

My question is since you have this fantastic D4, how can this lens suffice you?
The pics are good because you did your part of the work… but I just think that
this lens is not supporting your effort!

Or am I missing something?
i think your missing something.

you need to remember that shots posted are normally resized whether by the host site or the destination site and some of these forums, and nikoncafe is no exception, use really crappy resizing algorithms to render photos.

I suspect these shots look superb in RAW on Randy's computer monitor.

Real Name
Randy
These look great to me...! :wink:

Now all I need to do is save for about a year so I can get one...! :tongue: :biggrin:
thanks William

I have spoiled myself silly the last 5 years buying gear but with my up and down health situation I figured there was no time to waste. I clearly have too many 300mm lenses now but I'll probably keep all 4:smile: of them

thanks William

I have spoiled myself silly the last 5 years buying gear but with my up and down health situation I figured there was no time to waste. I clearly have too many 300mm lenses now but I'll probably keep all 4:smile: of them
I hear you, Randy...

My health ain't what it used to be either so when I have the money I have
no reluctance to spend it on what I want... Just usually takes a while to
save it is all... :frown:

If you got it, enjoy it, and apologize to no one... :wink:

thanks Fred & Kodiak

I'm not sure why those didn't look as good here as they did on my LCD

I suspect it was the file size causing a resize here. I just switched to ZF and I tried posting ZF XXL's...so I've changed the post to just large versions

Anyway in PP the images look very good, as good as 300vr images.

Most of these are larger crops that normal for me. I usually shoot FB with the 400vr. Since these were scrimmages I was able to get in the 'coaches box' which got me much closer to the offense so I shot the 1230-300. I would never shoot the 120-300 or 300vr for normal football game. But I am still not used to the reverse zoom direction on sigma's and on several of the sequences with action coming at me I was actually zooming in vs out. I was watching the FL MM in the LR info and as the runner got closer the mm got smaller, I actually chuckled when I saw it. I wonder why in the world sigma made such an odd decision.
Texture and color both improved now.
Thanks Randy.
Fred

at 300 f2.8, i dont think anybody could tell the difference between a shot with the 300vr at f2.8 and the 120-300 at f2.8.
Interesting, Colin.
That would be one of the few times when a zoom at its telephoto extremities could match a prime.
Thanks for your response.
Fred

Real Name
Randy
Interesting, Colin.
That would be one of the few times when a zoom at its telephoto extremities could match a prime.
Thanks for your response.
Fred
the 24-120 and 80-400 are 2 other noteworthy zooms that are changing a lot of kits

the 80-400 wide open at 400 is amazing

I've just sold my pre-OS version. That zooming thing is frustrating, I too would zoom the wrong way when someone started running at me :(

How stiff is your zoom ring Randy? Mine was quite stiff and even when I remembered to turn it the right way it was tricky keeping up with the runner!

It's a pity Sigma don't change the zoom direction for us Nikon users.

Real Name
Randy
I've just sold my pre-OS version. That zooming thing is frustrating, I too would zoom the wrong way when someone started running at me :(

How stiff is your zoom ring Randy? Mine was quite stiff and even when I remembered to turn it the right way it was tricky keeping up with the runner!

It's a pity Sigma don't change the zoom direction for us Nikon users.
:smile:

it's stiff but not an issue compared to the wrong direction but even that will go away with time....the bottom line is I will get a lot of shots I never got before.

Real Name
Randy
Have just checked mine and yep it's still reversed. The zoom ring is quite stiff. In comparison my 70-200 feels loose
I imagine all of their zooms go backwards
I wonder does canon go backwards as well

the stiffness will probably get better over time, but for a lens this large, which for me is usually on a monopod, the stiffness is not an issue at all

IQ is quite impressive and the lens has no competition

$2450 IMO, considering lenses like the 70-200 are similar in price, is a good deal, even more so now that their Sports version is $3600

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom