D40 +45mm?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DABO, May 20, 2007.

1. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I've been looking for a point and shoot to carry with me everywhere. I'm wondering how small this combination would be. If someone has both, can you take a picture of the D40/x with a 45/2.8 mounted with something next to it that's recognizable for it's size (a ruler, a paperback book, a pencil, a real P&S, etc.). I have a feeling that it'll still be too big to stick in a large pocket, but the fact that it doesn't cost more than the less capable point and shoots and the fact that I have lots of lenses to fit it, is very tempting.

DAB

2. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Well, it would be manual focus of course, and you would have no light meter, so you would have to be good at guessing.

I think a D40 and a Sigma 30mm F/1.4 would be a better combo.

3. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Thanks, Matthew. I used to have a Sigma 30/1.4 and didn't love it. It was also a fairly big lens.

I'm not sure you're right about the D40 not metering with the 45/2.8. It does have a CPU chip. Also, I found this picture online:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/72899-5078-53-1.html

from this web page:

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/nikon_d40_plus_nikkor_45mm_f28p_image_samples

I still can't really tell how big this combination is though. What do you think? Would it fit in my pocket?

DAB

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    The D40 itself would be hard pressed to fit into the average pocket, without a lens.....I can get it into my jacket pocket, sans lens, but it's tight.