D40 + 50mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by layton7m, Jul 2, 2008.

1. layton7m

layton7m

Nov 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    Hi all, I recently took some pictures at a concert with well a D40 and the 50mm 1.8... had to manual focus the entire time... well, I took over 800 pictures and about 90 came out... oh, the conditions: no flash, ISO800, 1/40-1/250, low light, changing light, hip hop dancing, fancy club style lighting and kaba modern!!! any hints or tips for shooting in these conditions besides getting a new body? thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Without more of an idea as to why the other shots didn't come out, we can only guess wildly what the problems were.

Can you post some examples?

3. I can already guess that ALL of the 1/40sec were bad

For a dance recital, you need to be up in shutter speed - and ISO

Next time try for 1/200-1/500 shutter speed
    Set ISO to 1600 maximum - you will be getting lots of 1000 or so

The 50mm f1.8 was the right lens to use though

Hope this helps

Check this thread - where I got lots of help

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=171373&highlight=dance+recital

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I would try bringing your flash and "feather" a little light in the situation. Try balencing your ambiant light with a little flash. You might get some some ghosting at slow shutter speeds 1/2--1/30 but thats okay it might look cool. Just dont drown the scence( black back ground) .
    If you want to go strickly availible light than crank your ISO to 1600 and set your lens wide open. The shutter speeds will fall where they may. Oh ya and on the slow shutter speeds with fill flash try moving with your subject. Best of luck. Hope this helps.

5. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Another issue I noticed when using a D40 with 50mm prime lens was the fact that the camera no longer sends out the focus assist light. It makes it more challenging even for the camera to decide when something is in focus. I found I needed to purposefully look for very contrasty portions of the subject (shirt collar on neck, hat on hair, or even head on background) in order to get the focus indicator light to work correctly.

Just a thought.

6. layton7m

layton7m

Nov 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    I cannot post pictures yet. Gotta get the ok from the event promoters. But it was like trying to find your subject in a storm and your eyepiece is covered... (i had my eyes checked and theyre 20/15 and 20/20):Wink: and since im not that tall, the stage came up to my head so i had to tippy toe for most of my pictures.

7. layton7m

layton7m

Nov 21, 2007
    Hawaii

thanks! after i get out of work, i can really take a look at the pictures!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017