1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D40 and SB-600 multiburst?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SalM, Jul 20, 2008.

1. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I was fooling with my D40 today and an SB-600. I was able to get it to multi burst together in Manual mode on the flash. Is there a way in other modes on the flash or change the settings on the D40 to allow it to get more light. Right now I can only multi burst using manual on the flash set at 1/8. Anything higher than that and it won't flash on the second shutter release.

Final question, would the SB-800 be able to accomplish this better than the 600? I am only really looking to fire off about three shots at a time but would prefer to get as much light as I can to bounce and fill a room.

I read the manual but can't seem to find any valuable info....

Thanks
    Sal.

2. The SB800 has an optional 5th battery compartment and recycles faster , I just put my SB800 on my D40 and fired off 10 shots in a row in auto mode .
    I tried again with my SB600 and fired off 10 shots in a row , close up . I turned around and fired across the room and got 4 flashes before it whined and stopped firing . Tried again with the SB800 and got 7 flashes long-distance ....

3. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Thanks but now when you say "fired" do you mean holding the shutter down?

For some odd reason I can't get my sb-600 to fire with the shutter in any other mode but manual if I want to shoot say two frames back to back.

Odd.. I must be doing something wrong...Hmmm...

4. Hmm , I thought I replied to this last night . Yes , "fired" as in 'clicked' and took a shot . Hold down the flash button and turn the dial and see what mode you are in , maybe you have it in the wrong mode , I'm not sure what could be wrong there .

5. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Desmond

Thanks! When you say knob do you mean the M,A,P,S knob on the D40? Not trying to sound like a nut but my flash only has push buttons on it!

I was playing with the camera again and in aperture mode and with the ISO at 400 I can get a nice color balanced multi snap with the flash firing each time. I guess I was hoping I would be able to bounce flash three shots back to back with the shutter held down. Either way I will make the best with it. At this point I wish I would have opted for the SB900 but at the time of purchase over a year ago I was still a novice to DSLR......

Thanks again for your help!

6. I meant the multi selector dial at the back , it changes the type of flash you are using between , "red eye reduction" , "slow synch " etc .
    This may be a good time to get a used SB800 when the SB900 comes out .
    I did some test prints on my D40 at iso 200,400,800 and 1600 at 8X12 .
    Up to iso 800 I could not see any real difference in the prints . if you try the same test again at iso 800 the flash will only have to fire half as strong [as at 400 ] and should last twice as long .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.