D40 as second body

Having fullfilled my lens lust (at least for now) with the 300 2.8VR, I find myself often wishing for a second body. I have a D200 that I enjoy very much and know that a true "backup" would be another D200. What I am looking for would be smaller, lighter and maybe do a few things that the D200 does not do. Basically to replace my FM2 until Nikon builds the FM3d. I have been through the PS and Advanced Digital cameras with the 5000 and 8400. I am considering the D40 or D40x because of the compact size, light weight, wireless remote and image quality. It is ok that it does not AF with screw lenses because I expect to use it with my 18-70 and 12-24 lenses and possibly adding the Katzeye split screen. Is anyone using or thinking about getting the D40 or D40x for a second body?
Pete

Pete,

I have the D40 and I am very happy with it. I am still a newbie when it comes to manually focus, so when i borrow lenses from a friend, i find my pics are still out of focus...so i need practice. You might not have that issue. As for weight, I like how light it is compared to the D80 and the D200 that I have held. Hope that helps.

Pete, I did exactly that same thing. I got the D40 used. I haven't used it yet with anything but AFS lenses but I will try that soon. The size is appealing to me and very easy to carry around. Also have let a friend use it when when shooting with me. I didn't have to worry about it.

Mikey,
Thanks for the info. Katzeye is developing a split screen for the D40. That should help if you want to do a lot of manual focus. Also I think the D40 has the electronic rangefinder like the D200. It is a little difficult to see the dot when you are looking at the center of the screen but it works well. I wish Nikon would light the focus point as the rangefinder then I would not need the split screen.

Gaye,
Thanks too. Maybe I can find a used one if someone is upgrading to the D40x.

Pete,

I bought the D40 as a travel/light carry and back up camera for my D2HS. I then sold my D2HS and have been using my D40 while waiting for my next big body. I love it and think it has performed admirably. I think Nikon has done a great job of tweaking the 6mp sensor; the D40 image quality seems much higher than that of the D70 I had in early 2004.

Vacation snaps with an 18-200vr:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=1214052&postcount=9

High ISO (1600 & 3200) Gymnastics with a 105vr:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=106169

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=107814

I think the D40 would complement your D200 well as it provides you with increased low light/high iso capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikey,
Thanks for the info. Katzeye is developing a split screen for the D40. That should help if you want to do a lot of manual focus. Also I think the D40 has the electronic rangefinder like the D200. It is a little difficult to see the dot when you are looking at the center of the screen but it works well. I wish Nikon would light the focus point as the rangefinder then I would not need the split screen.

Gaye,
Thanks too. Maybe I can find a used one if someone is upgrading to the D40x.

Hmm, a split screen huh? That would help me out a whole lot!! Any word on when it will be out to the public?

Sounds good, go for it! I don't have any non USM lenses BUT I do a lot of macro work where manual focus works better. If you can deal with manual focus or in your case have USM lenses I can't see a big down size except the controls are going to be very different so a quick switch from one to the other will require some adjustment.
Rich

Mikey,
I just got an email from Katzeye. The D40 split screen is available now. Looks pretty good too.

Just sold my D80 in anticipation of buying a D200. Concurrently picked up a D40 as my knock around camera. Very pleased with picture quality though I am going down a shake down on getting the auto-focus right. I am not familiar with the KatzEye split screen. Is this something I should consider for either the D40 or to be acquired (hopefully) D200?

I bought a D80 for my wife as a backup camera to her D200. The similarities make it a very smooth transition when carrying both bodies. The D80 is obviously not as light, nor as small as the D40. Yet it is similar to the D70s, a much lighter design than the D200. Just a thought. It is a great camera, and is regularly available "gently used" in the Cafe'. I tried the D40, BTW. For a guy with large hands, this sub-body was a chore - fingers with no body to hold stable because they would not fit around it...

I've been considering the D40x as a second body for shooting cheerleading, but it would specificly be mounted to my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM for a few different reasons. First off it's the only internal-focus-motor lens I have. Secondly I'd be taking advantage of the lower ISO noise to keep shutter speeds even higher. Third I'd want the higher resolution for cropping. I might even get it as a kit w/ an 18-135mm for travel too. That said I'll probably do none-of-the-above and hold out for a D200 then relegate my D50 to backup.

Thanks John. Where in KY do you live? That is a beautiful state and I travel through a lot. I am still in the thinking process. I will probably do something before the first air show. Stephen, if I were in your position, I would do the D200 route and keep the D50 as backup. The D200 is an awesome camera and makes it hard to consider anything else as a second body. I am headed to DC today, hope the Cherry Blossoms were not lost from the rain. Will be using my D200...

Thanks John. Where in KY do you live? That is a beautiful state and I travel through a lot. I am still in the thinking process. I will probably do something before the first air show. Stephen, if I were in your position, I would do the D200 route and keep the D50 as backup. The D200 is an awesome camera and makes it hard to consider anything else as a second body. I am headed to DC today, hope the Cherry Blossoms were not lost from the rain. Will be using my D200...

I live in Lexington, about 1hr 15min from Louisville.

Glad to see some KY love... I'm from Mt. Vernon, about 45 min south of Lexington on I-75. I went away to school (Georgia Tech, Atlanta), met my wife down here, and ended up here too. My parents are still in Mt. Vernon and I get to make it back about every-other month.

Glad to see some KY love... I'm from Mt. Vernon, about 45 min south of Lexington on I-75. I went away to school (Georgia Tech, Atlanta), met my wife down here, and ended up here too. My parents are still in Mt. Vernon and I get to make it back about every-other month.

Small world! My wife's ex-husband (Steve _) lives at home with his mother in Mt Vernon! I was in the neighborhood in October, showing my car at an annual Corvette show in Renfro Valley.

Well I can almost gaurantee I know the guy who DJ'ed the show... Country Charlie Napier?? I always went to all the car shows around Central/Eastern KY, especially the Renfro Valley and Boonsborough shows.

What kind of vette do you have? I was going to get a C5 but ended up w/ an '04 GTO instead...

Well I can almost gaurantee I know the guy who DJ'ed the show... Country Charlie Napier?? I always went to all the car shows around Central/Eastern KY, especially the Renfro Valley and Boonsborough shows.

What kind of vette do you have? I was going to get a C5 but ended up w/ an '04 GTO instead...

YES! Charlie Napier is a very good friend. He is a great guy. I tricked out a C5, and am considering selling it. Invested $25K in aftermarket extras in addition to the new fully accessorized C5 conv. I'll be selling it for about 50% invested to move it, if you are interested. It was a good year. 5 Best of Show wins in 6 shows, including at Renfro Valley. (Photos from various shows from London to Richmond):

137068273-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

137065747-L.jpg

137064562-L.jpg

137063041-L.jpg

137062030-L.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom