D40 battery life

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by JDann24, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Any other users notice just how awesome the D40's battery life is? This battery never runs out, its just keeps going and going. I can't even remember the last time I charged its battery. What to other D40 users think of it's battery life?

2. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    i got a d50 and it's also good. but yeah d40 is long battery life too.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i just charge the battery every now and then out of principle ..lol

4. Yup - they made a great battery for this one

5. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Very Long

I just returned from a trip for which I bought my first digital slr - a D40. I didn't want to have the battery deplete so I purchased a second one. It was not necessary.

I was actually glad when the camera showed that a bar on the battery symbol was gone. I was beginning to think that function was broken.

6. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    In general, it'll go through a full day of shooting without any problems. We have a back-up battery as a matter of principle but have had to use it only once or twice.

Same with the D50 - battery lasts through a full day of shooting, the back-up battery gets used only rarely.

The others........ back-ups are a good idea, unless you're using a battery grip with a second battery.

7. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    I bought a couple 3rd party batteries from ebay. Even they manage to keep going for hundreds of shots. I'm flash phobic, but I assume my anti-shake must suck up some power?

The thing tht I love is that accidentally leaving it switched on has minimal effect on the battery.

8. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Leaving the D40 On

According to Ken Rockwell, "Leave it ON unless you're putting it away. It draws no more power in ON than OFF. OFF is a lock to prevent accidental operation." http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/controls.htm

I still tend to turn the camera off but am doing so less often while shooting. My experience is like yours and seems to confirm Ken's statement: No noticeable drain on the battery when the camera is left "on."