1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D40 D200??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Colyn, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Other than the 10.2MP of the D200 as compared to the 6.1MP of the D40 why would you want to upgrade from D40 to D200?

Non-professional use only..

2. AF with non af-s lenses
    5fps instead of 3
    Better AF tracking and multicam 2000 AF system
    More Rugged Body
    Metering with ai and ai-s lenses.
    Has a commander mode for flashes (not sure if the D40 does)
    Top LCD, with backlight
    All the buttons and functions you need are on the camera body and you rarely need to use the menu's.

I think theres more but thats what comes to mind

IT also has Worse high ISO noise performance
    And the flash sync is only 1/250 on a D200

3. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    These are pro features that my daughter would never use. She currently has a D40 but has been thinking about an upgrade. The think the D200 might be a bit large and heavy for her small hands.

4. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

No need in my eyes.

5. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    D40 - D200

I would like to have one of each. The rugged pro body for times when you wouldn't have to lug the camera around all day. Also better for action or sports with wider array of lenses.

The D40 for times the light weight would be more important, and maybe for better performance in marginal light. A more practical camera for travel and casual use when on the move with a small camera bag.

So many choices!

Lynn

6. You say your daughter is "thinking about an upgrade". Why....what is she looking for that the D40 will not do? Maybe look at the D80 which is priced reasonably right now, or maybe the upcoming D90.

But the main question is....what she needs in the "new" camera that her D40 does not have!.....good luck

7. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    The only thing I can think of is perhaps the better meter or the screw drive auto focus support for lenses without a motor.

8. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I just thought I'd add that those listed are far from pro features. I would benefit hugely from 90% of those and I'm a hobbyist at best.

Things like making changes without going through the menu are a huge convenience no matter what you are shooting. It can take 2 seconds instead of 10-15 to change anything from white balance, ISO, quality, shutter mode, etc.... (my D70s has the same advantages on this part). Also the top screen is very helpful for a quick glance at your settings....pro or not. AF motor is far from a pro feature and very needed to use non AF-S lenses in many situations.

Better tracking is helpful if she ever shoots a sports game for fun or any wildlife....the more AF points is also helpful here as well as higher FPS.

Commander mode will open up a whole other world if she ever uses an upgraded flash like the SB-600. Many, many hobbyists on here use the SB-600 off camera to improve pictures with everything from portraits to macro.

A lot of those features may not seem like anything important but once you use some of them, you'll wonder how you ever managed without (at least I do).

9. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Wait....d200 has the abilty to control 600 or 800 flash..wirelessly?

10. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    It was said that it has commander mode which is a flash mode to control many flashes wirelessly using the on board flash as the trigger.

11. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    D200 features

Stop it Nate,

I have been eyeing those "factory refurbs" Cameta has been selling.
    (Must resist, must resist, must resist:confused: )

Lynn

12. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I would upgrade just for the metering. D200 has way better metering than D40. Other than that what others said ...

13. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Absolutely! Using the onboard flash in commander mode.

14. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    The commander mode is my favorite feature of the D200. Like mentioned above, there are many differences between the two bodies, but another key feature that wasn't mentioned above is that the D200 has two command dials whereas the D40 has only one. With two command dials, you can control the shutter speed and aperture without looking away from the viewfinder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.