D40 flash problem

Hello,

I picked up a used D40 this past week. The pop up flash won't stay closed. When I look at the latch mechanism, it looks like its broken. I have two questions - first, can someone with a D40 confirm that the latch is supposed to have a hook like an "L" or a "J"? Mine does not, which I'm assuming is the problem. Second, does anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement, or what else I can do to get it functioning correctly?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric, defiantly, there should be a hook at the end of the little foot that sticks up to catch the flash. The hook would point to the rear of the camera.

The D40 has a little plastic hook on the left side of the pop up flash. it sticks our like in inverted L with a pointy end.

Thanks, guys. Mine is definitely broken, then. Any idea where to get a replacement part, or of any other solution? Right now I just have the flash taped down, which is ok. The only thing I'd really use it for is fill anyway.

Not sure I'd want to pay what it would cost to fix that. Tape seems like an elegant solution to me.

No, its certainly not worth the cost to send it to Nikon and have them do it. However, if I could get the part, I'm fairly confident I could replace it myself. Haven't had any luck finding it, however. I emailed Nikon, so we'll see what they say.

OK, I found the service manual. I've identified the part I need, #B2455 (SB release base unit).

I think at this time I'm not going to bother fixing it, I'll just use the SB-400. Just thought I'd update this in case anyone finds it useful.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom