D40 Lens..... I need help!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pooyan, Sep 21, 2008.

1. pooyan

pooyan

Feb 11, 2008
    Oswego, Il
    Hey everyone,

I am currently looking for a 300mm lens for my D40..... my problem is; i dont want to spend a crazy amount for a lens since i am in my early years to photography and when i search for lenses, the D40 cant power most lenses.... wont "auto focus"...... i hope that i am making sense to all of you :) 

any suggestions for a 300mm or stonger lens in the $700.00 range??????

thanks for the help everyone

Glen

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    70-300mm VR sounds about right

That'll autofocus fine on your D40

3. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

If you can stretch your budget, the 300mm f/4 AF-S will autofocus on your body, costs about $900 used, and is pretty great. Or, you can go the zoom route and get a 70-300 VR for $400-500ish.

4. I'll second Robert's nomination of the 70-300VR. None of the other 300mm lenses that will autofocus on your d40 are in your price range. But don't feel bad about it, because the 70-300VR is a brilliant lens, capable of delivering excellent results at the long end. There are plenty of examples in this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=180440

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. pooyan

pooyan

Feb 11, 2008
    Oswego, Il
    WONDERFUL! thank you for your input..... ill check into these :)  if anyone else has a suggestion, please feel free to throw it in here :) 

thanks again

Glen

6. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, I'll suggest the 70-300VR too, since it is probably the best possible choice given your budget. While you're about it, toss out that 2x and wide thingie that came with the Ebay bundle, probably those filters too.

7. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    i have the d40x and the 70-300 vr. Love the combo and the focus it quick and out performs my other 70-300

8. pooyan

pooyan

Feb 11, 2008
    Oswego, Il
    haha pretty much everyone has suggested the same lens, im going for it. :)  haha yep, that was my ebay bundle. you know, i do not like the 2x and will toss that hunk of junk. the wide angle i do kind of like the effect that it has...... thanks for the advice.

so..... whats the deal with the d40 and the problem with powering some lenses??

9. its not a problem per se. The d40 lacks an internal focus motor so it can only autofocus with lenses that have a focus motor built in. Don't really worry about it though, you'll find that the majority of new lenses have the focus motor built in. The only area that it will restrict you is with older lenses.

10. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    No questions asked my suggestion is the 70-300VR. I use the lens all the time with my D90, and before that it was always on and off my D40x.

I find that I use the 135-220ish range of this lens the most. And that is the sweet spot of this lens. But even at 300mm, this lens is still very sharp!

You can pick up the USA version from B&H Photo for $479.

Morgan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.