D40 Lens Recommendation

Hello all! I'm still a beginner to all this camera stuff, but I was wondering if you members of the board could give me some recommendations on lenses that do AF with a D40. I was looking at the 50mm 1.8, however it does not AF with a D40, or so I've heard. I don't really mind not having the AF ability, but I figure I'll be saying to myself "I wish this focused automatically. I'm also looking at the Sigma 30mm 1.4, but looking for a used one because of it's price tag.

So hopefully you guys/girls could recommend me some good lenses. I'm somewhat on a budget, but hopefully I could sell some of my shoes to make some money. Thanks!

Even though the 50mm 1.4 does not autofocus, it is probably (in my opinion) the best lens you can get for the price. There are tons of threads on here about this lens. Plus you can practice your manual skills. Definitely worth it! I use this lens more than any other so far, and I have a D60. aside from that, I would say it depends on what your focus is going to be...

Will you be doing bird watching? If so, a large prime, or deep zoom (like the 70-300mm) might be best...
Are you doing portraits? then probably a prime lens with a low f number (like the 50mm or the 30mm you said.)
If you are doing alot of traveling, then get a versatile lens like the 18-200mm or maybe the 18-135mm.

It really depends on what your niche is. Basically I am going to buy the above mentioned so that I have all my bases covered, then I will invest in the more "pro" glass afterwards.

I have the 18-200mm VR and I havent taken it off. the 50mm will be my next purchase. I say start with those 2.

The 50mm f/1.8 will be very difficult to focus manually when using it wide open in poor light. If you're looking to use it in low light, the Sigma 30mm is worth the extra over the 50 as it's faster, will AF, and has a more usable focal length.

It's also hard to give lens recommendations without you specifying a price range and what kind of photographs you take?

What about this: Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
The HSM (sigma) is the equivalent of the AFS (nikon). It has its own motor that will AF on the D40.

My wishlist to date which is within my budget per lens:
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (portraits)
Nikon 18-200 AF-S VR or (cheaper) Sigma 18-200 OS HSM - everyday use
Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 EX DC Macro HSM - everyday indoor use

N

Nuteshack

d40 and dirty thirty is a magic combo. like a p$s on steroids!

it's a bird, it's a plane, it's -> Nemo!..lol
@f3.2
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

:Love:

Either the kit lens or the 18-200VR is usually on my D40, depending if I want the weight or not. Pretty hard to go wrong with the 18-200VR as a walk around lens.

BTW, I used to live on the north side of Salinas. I hear it's growing like crazy.

Bruce

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Sigma more than the Nikon, hopefully my funds will be enough. And I want to take portrait shots. But I'm pretty sure whichever lens I get, it will be a good purchase, since I've heard good remarks for both. However, would these two lenses be good walk around lenses? Hopefully I can get it before I go to Seattle on August 9th.

Nice to see a Salinas native on the boards. Don't really see too many, and yes Salinas IS growing.

If you want a general purpose lens (if there is such a thing), then the Sigma 30mm is much more versatile as the Nikon 50mm can feel a little crampt on a DX sensor, especially if you're going to do street photography.

d40 and dirty thirty is a magic combo. like a p$s on steroids!

it's a bird, it's a plane, it's -> Nemo!..lol

@1.4

:Love:
That is an AWESOME picture!

To the OP. Get a 30mm 1.4 Sigma. You won't regret it. I had one for the Canon 40D, between that and the 85mm were about 40/40 on my camera.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. One more question, how easy/difficult will it be getting things in focus with the 50mm? I really want the 30mm, but it'll be a while before I can get enough money.

I'm leaning towards the Sigma more than the Nikon, hopefully my funds will be enough. And I want to take portrait shots.
The 30/1.4 is a bit wide for classical head and shoulder portraits. The 50/1.8 would be better... and the 50/1.4 would be even better, as it would let you select a narrow depth of field so you could throw the background out of focus.

However, would these two lenses be good walk around lenses?
Now the tables are turned, because 50mm is a little long for a walkaround lens, particularly if you're shooting in the city. The 30/1.4 would be the better choice.

Btw, what lenses are currently in your camera bag? Did you get the 18-55 or 55-200 kit lens when you bought your d40?

Now the tables are turned, because 50mm is a little long for a walkaround lens, particularly if you're shooting in the city. The 30/1.4 would be the better choice.
I totally agree with this, I owned the 50 AF for a little while and found it just too long to fit my 'mental image' of what I typically wanted to shoot. I still have my AI 50mm because on film and without the crop factor it 'works' for me.

I will eventually replace it with either a 35/2 or 30/1.5, allthough at present I am leaning toward the 35.

Yeah I have the 18-55 and 55-200 lens.
My son has the d60 and the VR versions of those two lenses. The 18-55 makes a great walkaround lens, and the 55-200 is a nice telephoto lens. All that's missing is some fast glass for low light stuff. The 30/1.4 would complement your other two lenses perfectly. Then all you'd need is an sb600 speedlight to to round out an excellent kit.

Alright thanks a lot Frank. I just thought right now, that I should get the 50mm for now, and when I have enough, I'll get the 30mm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom