D40 Question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by 1MoreFord, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I've been thinking of updating my P&S camera lately and have been looking at and thinking about options. One of the camera's I've been considering, while not really a P&S, is the D40.

For those of you who have one or have used one, how do you like them and what are your complaints?

2. I have a D40x that I use as a P&S (until I have time to learn it) and love it.

3. Scotty_A

Scotty_A

Oct 20, 2006
    Maine
    Joe,

I bought a D40 Kit for my girlfriend this X-mas. She loves it. No much bigger then the Kodak P&S it replaced. She is a petite woman with small hands and finds that the camera fit her hands perfect. It will even fit in a coat pocket. I also find that it takes better jpg staight from the camera better then my D200. Hopes this helps.

4. Thanks,

Good to hear. I'm looking for something smaller with a decent MP count but kept remembering how slow real P&S cameras can be and thought this might be a better option. Found a used one for sale locally and wanted to hear from some happy users to help justify my NAS.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  5. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    I love my D40...

6. I got a D40X for my wife and she loves it but its so small it feels funny in my hands. I find myself wishing a vertical battery grip was available for it.

Grab a hold of one and see how you like the feel of it.

7. batangueno

batangueno

May 10, 2007
    Philippines
    - Not too big. It wouldn't be a burden to take in vacations.
    - Easy to use.

Dislikes:
    - Not much choice in lenses.

8. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

i got a D40 instead of the P&S lumix lx2 for the RAW files and photoshop playing ..... that was 2 weekends ago.

went to get a zoom lens yesterday...... 18-200 dx vr if i was lucky..... i wasn't so it was going to have to be a 55-200 dx vr..... i wasn't lucky there also.

point 1. hold off the D40 as you can't get the lens you want.

point 2. the metering gets it too right all the time so little to practice with photoshop on.

see these clumsy shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what i have found good about the D40 is first i've always wanted to wear the yellow and black neck strap in my 35mm days which were more then 5 years ago...... and second after 5 years of point and shoot i like the lower learning curve of the D40 functions which i'm still learning.

its worth a wait.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. eisbaer

eisbaer Guest

It's a great camera and if you're happy with the available af-s and hsm lenses then it's a good choice. But, be sure you don't want e.g. a nikkor 35mm/f2 with autofocus lateron...

10. Thanks everyone. I picked up a nice clean, low mileage, used one about Noon today. I think it's exactly what I've been looking for. Been wanting something newer than the old Oly P&S with a few more pixels for those occasions when I don't want to carry very much.

Just stuck the 18-70AF-S on it and think that's where it'll stay.

11. |square|

|square| Guest

love the D40

It's nice and small - I have paired it with 18-135 for P&S outdoor shooting - I also have a 30mm 1.4 for it which works great as a low-light indoor kit.

Advantages of the D40 are:

- Mirror slap is minimal so I have much less shake with it and can handhold it at low shutter speeds.

- Great Metering and Low Noise at 800 and 1600

Of course the only big complaint about it is the body motor - but if you'll use it as a P&S with one lens - its great and much more responsive than a P&S.

12. A used D50 would take care of the lens problem, also does good jpegs out of the camera, is as easy to use as a D40, and has the same MP and sensor.

13. Say no more.....

Nikon D40x ,Nikkor 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR (Gitzo 1258/BH-40)
    4s f/11.0 at 24.0mm iso200

Nikon D40x ,Nikkor 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR
    1/125s f/8.0 at 44.0mm iso1600 (Auto ISO On)
    View attachment 104960

GenoP

14. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

my d40 is satisfying......

[​IMG]

just wondering what lens next..... the 18-200 or the 55-200 with VR?

15. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    If you're willing to spend the $ for the 18-200, think about the 70-300vr....

16. The 18-70/70-300VR is an equally good combination if you don't mind changing lenses.......and an excellent option, also gaining you an additional 100mm on the long end.

GenoP

17. and less distortion all around, part of the reason I never got a 18-200 VR, it's the jack of all trades, but master of none.

18. I got the 18-200VR to travel light and have a lot of options without changing lenses.....I also have all the 2.8 zooms and a bunch of primes, but that stuff sure does get heavy.

GenoP

19. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

strange advice to a newbie...... i am told only use DX lenses for the d40.... the 70-300 is not a DX lens. :confused:

20. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan