1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D40 questions.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dee200, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    Hello Im new here and also just purchase a new D40 with 18-55mm lens. So far it has been great and my question related to a lens upgrade.

I have been eyeing the 18-200mm lens and was wondering if this is fully compatible with my D-40. I know some of the bodies do not provide the auto focus feature, so does this lens have an internal motor? And will the VR feature work as well?

I have mainly seen this lens with the higher end D200 and up models so just wondering on the capability of my basic D40.

Thanks, and great place here.:biggrin:

2. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Every Nikon lens with it's own motor will have the letters AF-S in its description. In this case, the 18-200VR is designated as AF-S, so it will autofocus on your D40.

By the way, Sigma's designation is HSM, the idea is the same as Nikon's AF-S.

3. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    Thanks for the response. In regards to the VR feature with that work with any body?

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Welcome to the Cafe, Dee. Believe you'll like it here.

Many pros, many amateurs, lotsa good stuff.

The D40 is a great camera and turns out image quality well beyond its economical price point. Many pros carry one around as a light everyday kit. It'll be one of Nikon's classics for sure.

The 18-200 is compatible with your camera and it's a neat all purpose lens. Do a search for posts here by member BLW, he has a gallery with many outstanding pictures taken with this lens.

Look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Cheers!

5. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Yup, it's built into the lens. Cool, eh?!

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Oh sorry, I missed your question the first time...yes, VR will definitely work as well.

7. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    Thanks for the information. I hope to upgrade very soon.

8. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Nikon 18-200vr is a great lens on the D40!

Great little camera with a very versatile lens!
    I would suggest getting the SB400 as well and feel free to use fill flash liberally: fast recycling, better range and bounce capability. The D40 has a great 1/500sec max sync speed that is great for outdoor fill and action pictures. You will love the combo!

9. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Welcome Dee! You've got a great camera there. As everyone said, that 18-200 is just fine with the D40. Any AFS or AFI Nikkor will autofocus with the D40 and the VR will work. All the Sigma HSMs will work. Most of the new Tamrons that say "motor built in" or some-such will work. You'll never be at loss for a way to spend money when you get your NAS working like the rest of us.

You might consider the 55-200vr over the other because it's a bit sharper and a lot cheaper. Just a thought because you already have the 18-55 covered. Or, the 70-300vr. Again, it's less expensive and sharper along with a good bit more reach. Just a thought.

Most of all, have fun and learn with the rest of us.

10. the 18-200 is very nice. i like it because its a walk around lens, it on my camera 90% of the time. nice and compact, little pricey but well worth it

11. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    I was thinking of getting the 55-200 given the price, but I think I want to get a lens that will replace the 18-55 as well. That way I can carry just one lens when traveling etc.

12. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I have two D40-bodies with the 18-55II and love the centersharpness from the 18-55II.

Also have used the 18-200VR at the D40, and it works so fine, but I have changed back to the 18-55 because I can have this combo in my pocket.

13. tee1172

tee1172

Jun 21, 2008
    pa
    dee
    I also have the d40 and am new here. I love the little bit I have been able to do with this camera but I know that it can do so much more I just have been reading and trying to learn. I too want to get a better lense and have been trying to decide what to buy. I love taking pictures of my kids and i love taking pictures of flowers, animals and scenery. I was looking for an all purpose lense

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.