1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

d40 + sig 30 1.4 = point n shoot on steroids

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

for when u wana go light without suffering quality, this combo is hard to beat!

from last night's Oct Fest
    @1.4, 800iso
    2853658506_ac68ebe695_o.
    @1.4, 800iso
    2853658658_2a4b7d2e88_o.

and while i'm here, first time using flash (sb 800) on the d40. my daughter Kara, in her face and square cropped to bring her in a little closer. no sharpening in camera or post. just some levels and removed a few blims, that's it.

@f4
    2852747775_d96e86f6f0_o.
    NIKON D40    ---    30mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 200

..this lens is dog-gone SHARP!
    :Love:

2. Nute, your last photo may have some issues. Since going to F4, I've noticed that your eye detail isn't the same as it was at F/1.4.... :wink:

PS: I love this combo too!!

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Kap ...it's gotta be the flash:wink:

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice. :smile: Compact sleeper camera :wink:

5. Nice shots. In the second image, boy, you guys have some really deep blue skies up north?!?

6. Fantastic stuff Mark. That really shows great IQ for such a convenient package.

7. APFELKÜCHLEIN? How cool... :smile:
    Seems to be a winning team, that camera/lens combo. If I wouldn't be saving for a D700 I already would have tried another copy of that lens for sure!

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

it's a dandy little kit:cool: 

thanks Rick ...sure had it goin last night:biggrin:

thanks David ....when my back and neck are causing be grief this is the package i go for:smile:

i hear u on the 700 ..get that baby first:Love:

9. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Nice pictures. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

10. Great stuff, Nute! I want what the guy in the braids was drinkin' ...
    here in NM I'm suffering thru a Spaten Oktoberfest and a bowl of green chili stew. :biggrin:

11. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

Nice shots Nute - are you the one in the hat and pigtails ??

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Sam ...hahahaha
    :eek: 

13. Excellent, Nute. I was amazed at the depth of field on that second outdoor night shot. I checked the Exif, expecting to see f/8, but f/1.4???

Also, does the Sigma 30/1.4 autofocus on the D40?

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Pa ...good eye, i was wondering when someone was guna notice that! now how freaky is that? like some kind of a roaming f-stop and stich it feature ..lol

ya, it's afs style auto focus. good on everything nikon.

;-)))

15. Great Pics Nute! What a great combo.

16. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I usually use autofocus. But recently, have found myself in a few shooting situations where manual focus was the better solution.

Do you find it a problem jumping between Nikkor and Sigma lenses, given that the focus ring works in the opposite direction?

17. Maybe a little selective sharpening in post?

Maybe I better get one of those Sigmas for my wife's D40. I love my Nikkor 35/2 on that camera, but...no AF.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  18. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I dunno about Nute, but if I had to switch from the right-focusing lenses (Nikon and Pentax), I switched from underhand to overhand. Thumb=farther, finger=closer. But maybe that's just me! :biggrin:

Mmmm... nice stuff as always, Nute. And keep reminding everyone the NW only sees blue sky like 5 nights a year. Hey wait, that's better than La Jolla... oh, man....

19. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow man those are great. I had a D40, doesn't it feel like you attach the camera to the flash, versus the flash onto the camera? I love how small those bodies are. They are like spy DSLRs. ;) 

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Joey ...i get too much use out of this combo:cool: 

no clue Jim...only lens i manual focus with is the t90. and i haven't used it in so long i couldn't even tell u what direction it focuses in ..lol
    :wink:

nope pa, none of that. mama will LOVE this lens!
    :biggrin:

actually prefer push-pull:wink:

sure, 5 nights a year but don't forget the 16 days a year without a cloud in sight..lol
    :Love:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.