d40 + sig 30 1.4 = point n shoot on steroids

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

for when u wana go light without suffering quality, this combo is hard to beat!

from last night's Oct Fest
    @1.4, 800iso
    2853658506_ac68ebe695_o.png
    @1.4, 800iso
    2853658658_2a4b7d2e88_o.png

and while i'm here, first time using flash (sb 800) on the d40. my daughter Kara, in her face and square cropped to bring her in a little closer. no sharpening in camera or post. just some levels and removed a few blims, that's it.

@f4
    2852747775_d96e86f6f0_o.jpg
    ..this lens is dog-gone SHARP!
    :Love:

2. Nute, your last photo may have some issues. Since going to F4, I've noticed that your eye detail isn't the same as it was at F/1.4.... :wink:

PS: I love this combo too!!

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Kap ...it's gotta be the flash:wink:

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice. :smile: Compact sleeper camera :wink:

5. Nice shots. In the second image, boy, you guys have some really deep blue skies up north?!?

6. Fantastic stuff Mark. That really shows great IQ for such a convenient package.

7. APFELKÜCHLEIN? How cool... :smile:
    Seems to be a winning team, that camera/lens combo. If I wouldn't be saving for a D700 I already would have tried another copy of that lens for sure!

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

it's a dandy little kit:cool:

thanks Rick ...sure had it goin last night:biggrin:

thanks David ....when my back and neck are causing be grief this is the package i go for:smile:

i hear u on the 700 ..get that baby first:Love:

9. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Nice pictures. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

10. Great stuff, Nute! I want what the guy in the braids was drinkin' ...
    here in NM I'm suffering thru a Spaten Oktoberfest and a bowl of green chili stew. :biggrin:

11. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

Nice shots Nute - are you the one in the hat and pigtails ??

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Sam ...hahahaha
    :eek:

13. Excellent, Nute. I was amazed at the depth of field on that second outdoor night shot. I checked the Exif, expecting to see f/8, but f/1.4???

Also, does the Sigma 30/1.4 autofocus on the D40?

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Pa ...good eye, i was wondering when someone was guna notice that! now how freaky is that? like some kind of a roaming f-stop and stich it feature ..lol

ya, it's afs style auto focus. good on everything nikon.

;-)))

15. Great Pics Nute! What a great combo.

16. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I usually use autofocus. But recently, have found myself in a few shooting situations where manual focus was the better solution.

Do you find it a problem jumping between Nikkor and Sigma lenses, given that the focus ring works in the opposite direction?

17. Maybe a little selective sharpening in post?

Maybe I better get one of those Sigmas for my wife's D40. I love my Nikkor 35/2 on that camera, but...no AF.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  18. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I dunno about Nute, but if I had to switch from the right-focusing lenses (Nikon and Pentax), I switched from underhand to overhand. Thumb=farther, finger=closer. But maybe that's just me! :biggrin:

Mmmm... nice stuff as always, Nute. And keep reminding everyone the NW only sees blue sky like 5 nights a year. Hey wait, that's better than La Jolla... oh, man....

19. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow man those are great. I had a D40, doesn't it feel like you attach the camera to the flash, versus the flash onto the camera? I love how small those bodies are. They are like spy DSLRs. ;)

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Joey ...i get too much use out of this combo:cool:

no clue Jim...only lens i manual focus with is the t90. and i haven't used it in so long i couldn't even tell u what direction it focuses in ..lol
    :wink:

nope pa, none of that. mama will LOVE this lens!
    :biggrin:

actually prefer push-pull:wink:

sure, 5 nights a year but don't forget the 16 days a year without a cloud in sight..lol
    :Love: