D40 still shines

2 (or 3, lost count) generation old 6 MP sensor, 3 pt. focus, plastic body, no motor... but it's still an awesome camera... at 1600 ISO! :eek: Well, I suppose the lens has something to do with it too. I think I am going to use it until it retires. :biggrin: Anybody's still shooting with one?

Both taken handheld, possibly a bit of handshake. No sharpening.

With a bit of WB adjustment.
DSC_3631.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ISO 1600, f/3.2, 1/13s @62mm

SOOC in Monochrome mode.
CSC_3640.jpg

ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/30s @62mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Although Nikon seems to have got most of their DSLR's right, the D40 seems to be the epitome of simple operation, great IQ and fun shooting. My D40 has about 30K shutter firings, I look now and then for another one, seems they are getting a little harder to find. The 6MP sensor with the hybrid shutter to 1/500th second sync is very valuable for me.

Yeah ever since the D50/70 series the performance (iso mainly) and fun factor in entry-lvl dslrs have been going up fast!

I have one and it was my first digital camera. It has about 5-7K clicks. I loved it and can't seem to bring myself to sell it since I got a D90. It has traveled a lot of miles and been to a few countries with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stunt by the high ISO performance. The pictures was taken under a couple of recess lights with no flash. it's definitely much better than the D200 due to the 6mp sensor. The fast sync speed is definitely fun to use, freezing motion with a flash. The D40 is the primary reason why I haven't picked up a M4/3 body yet.

Thanks for the info, Superbaldguy. I didn't know it only lasts 50k clicks. But again, if it ever goes out, I can always pick up another one at a reasonable price.

I love my D40, perfect shots all the time. My wife will use it or I will travel with it instead of bringing my mucher bigger ones.

I have a friend who had to send in his D90 for repair, I lent him my old D40 and he didn't want to give it back. He offered me way too much to buy it from me, I didn't sell it - I'm keeping it.

my mrs started out just over a year or so ago with a D40X & she absolutely loves it. she had a D2Xs that she refused to use & now only leaves it behind as i bought her a shiny new D90. she has no plans on getting rid of it either :smile:

Nice to see and hear from folks still using and loving the classic little Nikon machine. I've quite a soft spot for the D40.

my son has one (17) and one for my wife/daughter to use..
outstanding camera, outstanding shots on Auto mode.

The D40 seems suited to the 70-300mm VR lens. I put it on and there it stays. Good combination.

81aac3ce.jpg

We have one and would love to get another one for my 14 year old daughter who has really taken an interest in photography lately. A lot of people love them because the used prices arent that far off from what I paid new for this one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom