D40 troubles

a friend messaged me this afternoon wondering why he can't take a photo with his D40 while in Auto mode only. he tells me that it will autofocus but will not shoot the photo.

not owning D40 i really don't know what direction to point him in, especially when he lives 700kms from me. i can't just pick up his camera and toy with it.

does anyone have any idea what may be the issue here?

It depends on what he's shooting, but if he's trying to take a picture of something too close, the camera won't lock focus and won't let him take the picture. Find out what he is trying to take a picture of. (obviously this would be the same with any Nikon DSLR, but it was the first thing that came to mind).

Just thinking out loud here since I don't know all the details... but could it be that he doesn't have a memory card? I know the D40 comes with a default setting that doesn't let the shutter open without an inserted SD card.

If the problem only happens in AUTO mode, then it really isn't a problem at all... since he shouldn't be shooting in AUTO anyway. :wink:

trust me...for this gentleman, shooting auto is the only option. :wink:

but yes, there is a card in camera. again, it won't take photos only in Auto mode. it works fine using other modes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom