D40 => Very impressive

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Pa, May 26, 2007.

1. Picked up a D40 last week for my wife who has complained a lot about the size and weight of the D70s she has been using. Finally got around to testing it today with the 18-200VR. I'm impressed.

#1 straight from the camera except for cropping and resizing:

[​IMG]

#2 same image with a tad of levels and sharpening:

[​IMG]

I think this will be an excellent combo. It certainly doesn't sacrifice any IQ!

2. These are certainly fantastic results Jim! I have heard some really good things about that camera, these only serve to reinforce that data.

3. Wow, Beth does good work!!! :smile:

D40+18-200 sounds like the ultimate "P&S." :tongue:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Nice:>)))))

5. Thanks, Dave. It's better than I expected.

6. Wow, Jim!

Very impressive!

Beautiful iris, too!

Eric

7. Uh... actually I took that shot. Thanks anyway, Gretchen.

8. Thanks, Gale and Eric.

9. eisbaer

eisbaer Guest

That's a great choice Jim. Could have picked it myself :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007
  10. Great color too. I look forward to seeing it in person soon.

11. Jim,

I've been a fan of this particular combo for some time now. It never seems to disappoint. Wonderful shot!

12. Thanks, Glenn. Your posts were a strong influence on my decision to get one of these.

13. Thanks, David. When you do see it, I'm sure it will be in my wife's hands!

14. Now all you need is a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for those low-light shots with that camera and you've got it made!

I am not at all sorry that I decided to use the D40 as my go-everywhere camera in lieu of a P&S. IQ is excellent and there is certainly much more flexibility with the D40 than with a P&S.

15. Well I certainly agree with you Connie, but the camera is a (late) Mother's Day gift for my wife, and she has no interest in changing lenses. So the 18-200VR will probably be married to it.

16. Ah, so.... Well, that IS an excellent combo! :smile:

17. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    I think that lens (18-200vr) is going on my wishlist for Father's Day!

18. Most of the time I had been keeping the kit lens or the 55-200mm VR lens on "the Baby," but now that she's got her 30mm f/1.4 I 'll primarily be using that lens on her. Two lenses plus the camera with lens attached fit nicely into my Domke "Satchel Bag," and there is still plenty of room for my other stuff (wallet, sunglasses, etc.). When I first got the camera I experimented to see which would work best, using the two-lens system or simply putting my 18-200mm VR on it and calling it a day. I was pleasantly surprised by the decent IQ of the kit lens and later the 55-200mm VR on there so decided to stick with that combo, as together they are a little lighter in weight than the 18-200mm VR. I don't mind swapping out lenses when the occasion calls for it, so that's a little different than your wife's situation, Jim.