D40 => Very impressive

Picked up a D40 last week for my wife who has complained a lot about the size and weight of the D70s she has been using. Finally got around to testing it today with the 18-200VR. I'm impressed.

#1 straight from the camera except for cropping and resizing:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 same image with a tad of levels and sharpening:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think this will be an excellent combo. It certainly doesn't sacrifice any IQ!

Real Name
Dave Watts
These are certainly fantastic results Jim! I have heard some really good things about that camera, these only serve to reinforce that data.

E

eisbaer

That's a great choice Jim. Could have picked it myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

I've been a fan of this particular combo for some time now. It never seems to disappoint. Wonderful shot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now all you need is a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for those low-light shots with that camera and you've got it made!
Well I certainly agree with you Connie, but the camera is a (late) Mother's Day gift for my wife, and she has no interest in changing lenses. So the 18-200VR will probably be married to it.

Most of the time I had been keeping the kit lens or the 55-200mm VR lens on "the Baby," but now that she's got her 30mm f/1.4 I 'll primarily be using that lens on her. Two lenses plus the camera with lens attached fit nicely into my Domke "Satchel Bag," and there is still plenty of room for my other stuff (wallet, sunglasses, etc.). When I first got the camera I experimented to see which would work best, using the two-lens system or simply putting my 18-200mm VR on it and calling it a day. I was pleasantly surprised by the decent IQ of the kit lens and later the 55-200mm VR on there so decided to stick with that combo, as together they are a little lighter in weight than the 18-200mm VR. I don't mind swapping out lenses when the occasion calls for it, so that's a little different than your wife's situation, Jim.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom