D40X Camera Image Settings

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by KAEPhoto, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Hi,

I have been trying to find out a) whether 0, + or - in-camera sharpening is the best way to go and b) what happens with the default "Auto" setting. Does it apply sharpening according to some algorithm? I've heard it said many times that sharpening is best applied as the last step in processing.

I shoot RAW and am not sure if the in-camera sharpening permanently affects the RAW file or whether it is later adjustable, like white balance.

I am pretty sure that the other image settings like saturation, tone compensation (contrast), and Hue Adjustment are editable in Capture NX, but I am not sure about color mode. I currently use IIIa (sRGB) as all of my photos will either go on the web or be printed by a commercial service, none of which (that I have found) use AdobeRGB as their color space.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. in-camera sharpening doesn't affect the raw file.

Color mode can be changed in Capture NX.

I shoot in aRGB and then convert later on to sRGB if putting on web or sending to a printer that doesn't support aRGB. I like to work with the widest colour gamut as possible within the camera settings.

3. Thanks, Jimmy

That is very helpful. Good to know sharpening has no effect on RAW files. I'll just leave sharpening on "Auto" (still not sure what happens in this mode if anyone knows....

I think I'll give AdobeRGB a try and see if I can detect any difference. I am curious. If it really does look better, I'll see if I can find a photo processing house that uses AdobeRGB.

4. RAW files are just the sensor output, nice and RAW. All the color, WB, sharpening, noise reduction, etc settings in the camera is applied for in camera processing. Since the RAW file is "unprocessed", it's not going to matter what settings you put in the camera, the reason the image review on your LCD will look different with different settings is because when review mode is on the camera will apply certain settings to the file to make it viewable such as WB, color space etc.

Hope this helps.