1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D40x lens compatibility

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Colyn, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    What manual focus lens if any work on the D40x?

What about metering?

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    all will work, none will meter. You need a D200 or higher to get metering with manual focus lenses.

Just Google for "Nikon lens compatibility" and you'll find a few good sites describing compatibility much more completely

3. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  4. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It's a nice camera but due to the lack of metering with manual focus lens I'll be posting it in the for sale section.. My D200 will be getting a new brother soon. Maybe another D200 or maybe a D300..

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I think with the D40 you can put those non-AI lenses on? It won't meter with them though.

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    All Nikkor lenses (even pre-AI) will mount on the D40.

AI and AIS will have no metering whatsoever

Only the handful of AIP lenses will have metering

7. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    D40, D40X, and D60 will all mount and work with Non-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses, but you will not get metering of any kind. All shoot and check histogram (or use external light meter) type stuff.

They will mount and METER with AF lenses, but you won't get autofocus.

Autofocus is only with AF-S and AF-I lenses.

8. I was under the impression that the modern "chipped" manual focus lenses (and the converted ones) would meter with the D40/60 cameras. Am I in error?

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nikon only constructed 3 chipped MF lenses, these were known as the AI-P Nikkors. These will meter great with the D40.

I am not aware of official conversions to CPU standards however I gather some third parties have attempted it with various degrees of sucess.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    voigtlander released two AI-P-type lenses (SLII series) that will meter with the D40/x/60.

it's an interesting side-effect of the lack of the AI-indexing ring that allows the D40/x/60 to mount non-AI lenses, which the other bodies can't do. the only ones that i wouldn't try to mount are the fisheyes that require mirror lockup.

ricky

11. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Yeah, I gather that the series of so called 'recessive' fisheyes required the mirror to be locked as the rear element of the lens protruded so far back into the camera.

I guess that mounting it onto a camera while the mirror wasn't locked would cause the rear element to go crashing into the mirror!

Thanks for flagging up the SL series, I'd forgotton about them.

12. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    hmmmm film camera lens? shrug*

13. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I use manual focus AI and AIS 24, 28, 35, 50, 55 micro, 85, 105, 135, and 300mm lens on my D200 a lot more than the zooms commonly associated with this camera..

14. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    None of my manual focus lens would meter with the D40X so it went south to make way for another D200..

15. cjhopkins22

cjhopkins22 Guest

Will lens from a d40x work on any other nikon cameras

16. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Any other digital SLR yes, some older film SLRs may not work with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.