1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D40x to replace D70?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by InitialD, Apr 12, 2007.

1. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Yeah. Similar to the recent thread posted, I'm somewhat in the same predicament.

The S5 Pro is wonderful but out of my league. The D40 won't be considered an upgrade to my D70 since it's still 6MP and furthermore does not have internal motor and I have the D2Hs for low light shots.

So will a D40x be better than a D50 for me? Yes, most of my lenses are non AF-S but I thought of using the smaller sized D40x more for landscape / travel photography with maybe a Sigma 10-20 (which I'm planning to get) or the kit lens stuck on it. D80 would be ideal but that's more than what I'm willing to fork. Granted I'm no fan of SD cards, I think I have no choice. :rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. If you're used to the 2 command dial interface on the D70 then it's a step backwards to go to the single dial interface on the D50/D40/x. Ergonomics are important.

Ronnie

3. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    I've got a D70s, and don't see a compelling reason to switch to anything less than a D200. Which I won't be doing for a while yet. I agree wholeheartedly with Ronnie in that I would hate to go to a one dial camera for the majority of my shooting.

And I find that the 10-20 mates up pretty well with the D70s. If you don't have access to your D70 anymore, and a new D80 is out of your price range, I'd consider looking at a used D70(s), D80, or maybe even a D200.

4. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I'll add that the D40(x) or D50 don't have 'commander mode' if you now or later want to use the SB800 speedlight as a remote.

- Jay

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  5. Another 'aye laddie' for Ronnie's view. Once the 2 dial system is
    familiar, adjustments are very quick and easy.

6. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I wouldn't go from a D70 to the D40X, the 40 is meant for people that probably were looking for a high end point and shoot. There are a few drawbacks to the 40 other than what was mentioned, AF system is CAM530 where the D70 has the CAM900, 420-pixel array for metering and WB, the 70 has 1005-pixels, 3 focus areas vs. 5, no top display, etc...
    From a D70 the only way to go is D80 or D200.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  7. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    I have both cameras.
    The way Nikon designed it, (at least for me) there is not convenience or speed difference in using the D40/D40X single command dial, vs the 2 command dials of other cameras.

regards,
    Andy

8. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Beside the points you mentioned. There are advantages for the D40: High ISO noise at 1600 on the D40X is constantly better than the D70 at ISO 800. You won't miss the top-lcd.

regards,
    Andy

9. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I would mostly use it as a PnS camera with just varying the aperture now and then to take landscapes. I still have the D2Hs if I wanted the command and sub command dials. :biggrin:

10. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Thanks Andy and all the other guys for the feedback. The D70 is currently my 2nd body. Main body is the D2Hs. So low light performance and fast action sports would be dedicated to the CAM 2000 D2Hs. I would think the CAM 530 on the D40x would be able to handle simple daylight landscape shots?

Yes, the high ISO performance of the D40x is nice addition but I'd think it'll get simple use and more serious low light stuff will still be handled by the D2Hs.

The only thing that is pulling me back is the lack of the internal motor. But that should be no problem if I stick a Nikkor 18-200mm VR or Sigma 10-20mm permanently on it.

For me the attractive part of the D40x is it compliments where the D2Hs seems to be "lacking" i.e. MP and size / weight.

11. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    For your intended use the D40X would work well. Focus speed and accuracy aren't major issues for a landscape, nothing is going to move around on you and if you're off by an inch who cares. I would think the D70 is more than capable of handling those duties, unless you want super-sized prints. The 40X would work well, but I think if it were me I'd put the money toward glass or something and stick with the D70.

12. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Precisely. And yes, I do think from time to time of doing super size prints.

That's a great advise but the thing is the glass that I'm lusting is WAAYYY more expensive than the D40x. Savings from not getting the D40x and keeping the D70 would be too insignificant. :biggrin:

Heck, the initial plan was to trade in the D70 before the price dips down further and add a little more for the D40x.

13. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Jason,

I picked up the D40 as a complement to a D2HS.
    I love the D40's large monitor and have become very fond of using its ez access menu for settings switches.
    Maybe my late 40's eyesight has something to do with that.
    IQ on my D40 is wonderful; by all accounts it should be even better on the D40X.

I picked up a D50 last week because the 180 is a favorite lens and I wanted its full use (i.e., AF).
    After playing with the D50 (my 3rd one), I found my preference for the D40 was so much stronger that I passed the D50 on to a friend and decided to live with MF for the 180.

Knowing full well of the focus limitations ahead of time, I think you'll find the D40X to be an extremely nice step up from your D70.

14. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the great insight Glenn. :smile: So you actually preferred the D40 to the D50 despite the D40's limitations? Any reason why?

15. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I just picked up a D40x to replace my D70 which I plan on converting to IR use.

The D40x has three major advantages over the D70 IMHO: (1) first and foremost, its high ISO performance is as good as the D80 (some say better) which is much better than the D70; (2) for landscape detail, with good glass, 10 megapixels beat 6; and (3) its small size can be a real boon on long hikes, but not with large glass for which its not very well-balanced.

The disadvantages to the D40x are the limitation to AF-S and Af-I lenses only, and the absence of a Commander mode for wireless flash.

Hope this helps.

16. jaymc

jaymc Guest

how about the AF of the D40x vs the D70 -
    Multi-CAM530 or Multi-CAM900, anyone notice a difference?

- Jay

17. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    High ISO is a bonus for me. I'm not primarily looking for that feature. More for the 10MP and size.

Yes, the choice of lenses is the only issue that is pulling me back. I don't use wireless flash too often. If I do, I would rather get and use the SU-800 which is more powerful for that purpose.

18. Jason,

What attracts you go D40x mainly?

19. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I answered that in post 17. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.