D4S auto focus issue

I purchased a D4S last week and have been testing it. I tried shooting some BIF against a blue sky. Before the auto focus could grab the bird it racked out to infinity and stayed in that position until I released the auto focus and re-focused on a new subject. I tried it again on an odd shaped cloud with the same result. This morning I tried to some seagulls in flight against am overcast sky with the same issue. This has happened with 3 different lenses, 200-400, Sigma 120-300 and Nikon 70-300. Focus and meter modes have no affect, same issue. I do not have the problem with wither the D3S or D810. If I point either one at a clear sky the auto focus will just hunt until something enters the focus area. The D4S just "locks" up at infinity. Is this just peculiar to the D4S or (as I suspect) a defective auto focus system?

I have a D4s and never had this problem.
Sounds like a call to Nikon.

Cabin

Since I just purchased the camera a week ago, I am trying a return to the store. Hate to have to have an AF system repaired on a camera with under 800 clicks on the shutter. It generally does not bode well for it's longevity

I had the opportunity to comapare my D4S with a friend's and did not experience the same issues with his.
Mine is being delivered to Nikon in Melville today. I am suspecting it is a software/firmware issue as the auto focus is working flawlessly in all other situations except BIF.

For those tht are interested, the D4S came back from Nikon repair today. The auto focus system was adjusted..I'm surprised they did not claim it was impact damage.

Cheers

For those tht are interested, the D4S came back from Nikon repair today. The auto focus system was adjusted..I'm surprised they did not claim it was impact damage.

Cheers
Always scary to have new equipment fail like this... Hope it has been working flawlessly since!

Always scary to have new equipment fail like this... Hope it has been working flawlessly since!
Hi Kris,
It has been flawless. I put 2,000 clicks on it last weekend after my D3S decided it didn't waon't to put more than 999 photos on the CF cards. So that one is off at Nikon repair now. I am very pleased with how much faster the auto-focus is on the D4S thn the D3S. I may sell the D3S when it returns from Nikon and look for another D4S, with low mileage.

Hi Kris,
It has been flawless. I put 2,000 clicks on it last weekend after my D3S decided it didn't waon't to put more than 999 photos on the CF cards. So that one is off at Nikon repair now. I am very pleased with how much faster the auto-focus is on the D4S thn the D3S. I may sell the D3S when it returns from Nikon and look for another D4S, with low mileage.
You seem to have the 'Bad touch' Barry ;-)

Hopefully the D3S repair bill ain't too bad...

You seem to have the 'Bad touch' Barry ;-)

Hopefully the D3S repair bill ain't too bad...
This has definitely been then summer for camera issues. This is making up for the 20+ years using Nikon and only having to send a camera in for repair once in that time. At that it was a D2Hs when Nikon had the exposure issue and they were fixing the cameras for free.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom