D4s Err Message

Anyone with a D4s had problems with this? The very first camera I got from B&H failed within hours with this error - they replaced it. Over the next 9 months the D4s failed 5 times. Each time Nikon tried something new (including sensor??? really???). But it failed and the last time they asked for my 70-200, tc 14 TCE and batteries that were on it (note: first failure only had 70-200 and not TC, subsequent did). They found nothing and warranty replaced the camera. That was April. Saturday it failed again - the warranty replacement. Nikon is once again asking for the lens, TC and batteries for testing. Fortunately I am in a 3 week down time so will not affect me.

But, sounds to me like a class problem on the shutter. What happens is the err message comes up and camera is locked. The only way to reset is to take it off the lens and press the shutter - and the sound it gives is like a half activation (if that makes sense). Then the camera is good to go. But, for the price I paid just not acceptable ignoring the fact I make money off of this thing. Never had an issue on my D3s' or other cameras.

Anyone seen this?

P

photogramps

Wasn't there another thread on here a while back with someone reporting the same/similar problem?

I'd clean the contacts on both lens and camera. If it does it again, send it in for service. It's a bother, but better to get service work done before the warranty expires!
You might have missed it in my original post, but Nikon has already warranty replaced the camera once (4 months ago) and now they are paying for shipment of all the parts back to them. Nikon said it was a mechanical failure. Most companies will honor repairs after warranty if the same issue has been reported and they have tried to repair it. They have been very good about working with me on it.

That's a rather bizarre set of issues--both with the camera (and lens?) AND with Nikon service! :eek:
Agreed - and the 2 D3s' I own never had this issue (with over 3M shots total on them).

You might have missed it in my original post, but Nikon has already warranty replaced the camera once (4 months ago) and now they are paying for shipment of all the parts back to them. Nikon said it was a mechanical failure. Most companies will honor repairs after warranty if the same issue has been reported and they have tried to repair it. They have been very good about working with me on it.

Agreed - and the 2 D3s' I own never had this issue (with over 3M shots total on them).
Oops, I missed that part. I find it worrisome that these new Nikon bodies have so many issues. You're right, the D3/S and D700 generation bodies were rock solid.

There was a similar issue several years back, where the D2Hs had an Err problem. I know because I had the issue. Nikon fixed the cameras at no charge, even if they were out of warranty. Sorry I don't remember the exact specifics, it was related to an exposure issue as it was not specific to a particular lens. I know the shutter was not replaced.
Doesn't really help Kevin with the D4S, but maybe if you can speak to one of the techs at Nikon it may help to jog a memory or two.

Anyone with a D4s had problems with this? The very first camera I got from B&H failed within hours with this error - they replaced it. Over the next 9 months the D4s failed 5 times. Each time Nikon tried something new (including sensor??? really???). But it failed and the last time they asked for my 70-200, tc 14 TCE and batteries that were on it (note: first failure only had 70-200 and not TC, subsequent did). They found nothing and warranty replaced the camera. That was April. Saturday it failed again - the warranty replacement. Nikon is once again asking for the lens, TC and batteries for testing. Fortunately I am in a 3 week down time so will not affect me.

But, sounds to me like a class problem on the shutter. What happens is the err message comes up and camera is locked. The only way to reset is to take it off the lens and press the shutter - and the sound it gives is like a half activation (if that makes sense). Then the camera is good to go. But, for the price I paid just not acceptable ignoring the fact I make money off of this thing. Never had an issue on my D3s' or other cameras.

Anyone seen this?
I have not but I only have a handful of clicks compared to your usage. Now I have something to worry about

It did take a fuzzy picture the other day though. Turns out that if your lens is on manual, it doesn't matter how hard you press the focus button :confused:
At what point do they upgrade you to a D5..and if so how can I get in on that..:smuggrin:
Gary

I have not but I only have a handful of clicks compared to your usage. Now I have something to worry about

It did take a fuzzy picture the other day though. Turns out that if your lens is on manual, it doesn't matter how hard you press the focus button :confused:
At what point do they upgrade you to a D5..and if so how can I get in on that..:smuggrin:
Gary
LOL that would be nice... All I want is a camera that I can rely on. I had an event last weekend, and every time the shutter sounded different (imagination running away) I stopped and checked the camera but thought, oh no not again....

Hi Kevin,
Well I had the Err issue on one of my D4S, this morning. Unfortunately it is the one I purchased used from Adorama. It is still under the 180 day warranty, so hopefully the issue will be resolved under that warranty. It's not like I use the camera a lot, I only put 48,700 clicks on the shutter since August

I use my cameras a lot, but really believe there is a class issue with D4s. Nikon was going to warranty replace mine a second time (well third if you consider the day 1 failure/replacement). Rather than do that, I worked a deal for a D5 a no problems with it. Good luck!

I use my cameras a lot, but really believe there is a class issue with D4s. Nikon was going to warranty replace mine a second time (well third if you consider the day 1 failure/replacement). Rather than do that, I worked a deal for a D5 a no problems with it. Good luck!
Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Camera is being sent off tomorrow.

The D4S came back from Adorama yesterday. No paperwork was included stating what if anything was done to repairs the issue. I fired off an email to the customer service rep, I have been dealing with, to find out what was done. This is his response,
"Not sure what was done to repair. The notes on the item says: No ERR message found.". All of the settings on the camera, except for the clock and "My Menu" were re-set to factory spec. Hopefully whatever they did re-solved the issue

Sounds like they may have only done the 2 button factory reset and everything was resolved.
Did you by chance try that before sending it in?
Hope that eliminates any reoccurrence.

The D4S came back from Adorama yesterday. No paperwork was included stating what if anything was done to repairs the issue. I fired off an email to the customer service rep, I have been dealing with, to find out what was done. This is his response,
"Not sure what was done to repair. The notes on the item says: No ERR message found.". All of the settings on the camera, except for the clock and "My Menu" were re-set to factory spec. Hopefully whatever they did re-solved the issue
Nikon did that 2 or 3 times with my D4s. Apparently there is a log that tracks all of the errors the camera sees. But, in my case nothing was being logged - which sounds like yours. Nikon had me go through and recalibrate the batteries - are you using Nikon batteries? I kept insisting they have a class problem and they denied it - right up until the end when they did not respond to the question. But, what I did learn, is it is a symptom of a power issue.

How is that even possible nowadays? No note, no anything just put back in box and lick the stamp :sick:
I mean they know the second you get it that will generate a flood of emails/calls (n)

Hopefully it works and then it wont matter.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom