D5 and D850 Files

Real Name
Mike
I have a D850 and I’m in the market for a second body. I want higher FPS and tracking. Low light is good too but I manage fine with the D850 so this would be a bonus. D500 is out since I don’t want to introduce DX into my camera bag. D5 is more of what I’m looking for. I miss the D3s I used to own.

Those who own both the D850 and D5, how do you handle or feel about the difference in level of detail? How about colour differences or matching colour? I tested a D5 briefly and the difference was fairly noticeable but I didn’t have a chance to dial in settings.

My brain says the D5 looks inferior file-wise (probably the level of detail, I know) but my heart still says it’s a killer combo.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Sounds like what you need is a grip on a D850. With the larger battery that gives you 10fps with the same files. Only downside is that the shutter is really loud at high frame rate.

I have found myself reaching for my d5 more often then the 850. Both are great output but sometimes I just do t need the MPX and file size. Especially for portraits in the studio. I love the d5 output. Also if I am shooting up over 1600 iso or sports it is the d5 all the way.

I have both and use both. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. If I know I'll have to crop significantly, I'll use the 850 (within it's ISO limits). If I know I can fill the frame or just a small crop, I tend to prefer the D5. A lot is ISO dependent, if I can keep the ISO at 800 or below, the D850 is usually my choice but for higher ISO's and top notch AF it's the D5. My D4 also takes a nice photo as long as I don't need to crop and don't need the best AF performance.

It kind of sounds like you have already sold yourself on the D5. With that said and the fact that I love to see other people spend money, I think you need to head to your nearest Jessops and pick one up for use this weekend.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the responses.

Haven't sold myself on it yet. I just remember the D3s and how much that camera shined.

I wanted to make sure that people are not taking pics with these 2 cameras and struggling to come to terms with the output being vastly different considering the resolution differences and how they both handle colour output. I have since gone and looked at a lot of samples on the Internet on various sites. D5 does look good and I have top end glass (70-200 E FL and 500 f/4 e fl).

I think it will be fine based on the feedback here. The only way I'll buy one now is used. I'm wondering about the potential D6 so that is another decision I need to come to. Wait or buy used now.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The D5 and D850 are my two bodies. I love them both. I notice almost no difference in "level of detail or color difference". I create a custom color profile for each camera so there is no color difference in images taken with either camera body.

When I need really fast FPS and top notch tracking, I use the D5. But when my focal length is a bit short, I don't hesitate to use the D850 and crop.

ISO? Well, here's a D850 shot at ISO 5,000! Looks pretty good to me.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That said, the D5 is the King of High ISO's. Here's one at ISO 5,600

Honestly, I have no idea why in real-world shooting and results you would question the level of detail in a D5 file. For wildlife, hummers, birds, etc it is THE top choice, IMHO.

That said, I don't hesitate to use the D850 for wildlife and animals. And the D850 does so much more! Landscapes, architecture, fine details, etc!

Real Name
Mike
The D5 and D850 are my two bodies. I love them both. I notice almost no difference in "level of detail or color difference". I create a custom color profile for each camera so there is no color difference in images taken with either camera body.

When I need really fast FPS and top notch tracking, I use the D5. But when my focal length is a bit short, I don't hesitate to use the D850 and crop.

ISO? Well, here's a D850 shot at ISO 5,000! Looks pretty good to me.
View attachment 1635207

That said, the D5 is the King of High ISO's. Here's one at ISO 5,600
View attachment 1635208

Honestly, I have no idea why in real-world shooting and results you would question the level of detail in a D5 file. For wildlife, hummers, birds, etc it is THE top choice, IMHO.

That said, I don't hesitate to use the D850 for wildlife and animals. And the D850 does so much more! Landscapes, architecture, fine details, etc!
Those are some beautifully detailed photos. Your real world feedback is very helpful. I have shot with a D5 but the output did not look like what you posted. I compared it with the D850 I own now and ran side by side shots. I was not impressed. Then again, maybe I just need to work on what it's good at and know that the files will look just as good or better than my D3s which was a stellar camera. If you are producing those files then I need to work on my output. I'm basically sold now.

Question, when you say your colour profile, do you mean via picture control?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Those are some beautifully detailed photos. Your real world feedback is very helpful. I have shot with a D5 but the output did not look like what you posted. I compared it with the D850 I own now and ran side by side shots. I was not impressed. Then again, maybe I just need to work on what it's good at and know that the files will look just as good or better than my D3s which was a stellar camera. If you are producing those files then I need to work on my output. I'm basically sold now.

Question, when you say your colour profile, do you mean via picture control?
The raw files are just fine if your capture is sound. I don't process D850 files any different than I proces D5 files! I previously had a D3s. The D5 (and D850) are light years better....even though I know the D3s broke ground - many years ago. Nikon has built on that history and the D5 is spectacular. While I easily can use either the D850 or D5 for wildlife....I tend to use only the D850 for landscapes, architecture, travel, etc. I just don't need the big D5 for that type of shooting.

No - custom camera color profiles have nothing to do with picture controls, which I never use.

Do you calibrate your monitor? Calibrating your monitor ensures that the colors in the raw file are displayed accurately on your monitor.

A custom camera profile ensure that the CAMERA will record accurate color in the source files, i.e. the raw files. HERE is an article that explains the process using the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport.

I have a D850 and I’m in the market for a second body. I want higher FPS and tracking. Low light is good too but I manage fine with the D850 so this would be a bonus. D500 is out since I don’t want to introduce DX into my camera bag. D5 is more of what I’m looking for. I miss the D3s I used to own.

Those who own both the D850 and D5, how do you handle or feel about the difference in level of detail? How about colour differences or matching colour? I tested a D5 briefly and the difference was fairly noticeable but I didn’t have a chance to dial in settings.

My brain says the D5 looks inferior file-wise (probably the level of detail, I know) but my heart still says it’s a killer combo.
Just get a 2nd D850. If you already have doubts about the D5 and you didn't like the output, why would you sink money into getting one? I'd buy a D5 in a heartbeat mainly because I'm a high volume, available light shooter. If that's not your style, I think getting another D850 is better suited for you.

Real Name
Ian
While many people, rightly so, claim the D5 as the high ISO king, they're not factoring in something: equivalent output size.

While both cameras have FF sensors, the D5 is 20MP whereas the D850 is 45MP. What that means is that you can shoot the D850 and downsize upon export to 20MP (same as the D5), and get better ISO performance. So while the D850's noise looks worse at an equivalent ISO when viewing 1:1, the difference becomes much smaller when you view the files as the same magnification level. Based on DPR's studio comparison of RAW files, I would put the D5 at less than a stop better than the D850. The D850 at 12,800 definitely looks worse, but at 6,400 the D850 looks better (cleaner noise and sharper). My guess is that the D850 at ISO 8,000 = D5 at ISO 12,800 (again, when you view the files at an equivalent magnification level).

Even at an equivalent output size, look at how much sharper the D850 image is. IMO, if you're looking for a second body and are fine with the D850's ISO and burst rates, the best option is a second D850.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Color Checker is something I'll look into now. That is something good to experiment with for consistency.

Regarding the D850 and a grip, it's not quote the same from a grip standpoint. D5 feels much better in the hand. Plus, 12fps is better than 9.

Also, just to clarify, getting a D5 is about getting something that can excel in a different area than a D850. I already have a D850 but do low light photography and the D5 will easily fill this need.

Regarding the 20mpx noise equivalent, I have read about this and understand it. Still makes me have 2 D850's. If I didn't want the low light I would very seriously consider a D500 since it fills some other needs I like to cover.

All responses are very much appreciated. Very helpful.

While many people, rightly so, claim the D5 as the high ISO king, they're not factoring in something: equivalent output size.

While both cameras have FF sensors, the D5 is 20MP whereas the D850 is 45MP. What that means is that you can shoot the D850 and downsize upon export to 20MP (same as the D5), and get better ISO performance. So while the D850's noise looks worse at an equivalent ISO when viewing 1:1, the difference becomes much smaller when you view the files as the same magnification level. Based on DPR's studio comparison of RAW files, I would put the D5 at less than a stop better than the D850. The D850 at 12,800 definitely looks worse, but at 6,400 the D850 looks better (cleaner noise and sharper). My guess is that the D850 at ISO 8,000 = D5 at ISO 12,800 (again, when you view the files at an equivalent magnification level).

Even at an equivalent output size, look at how much sharper the D850 image is. IMO, if you're looking for a second body and are fine with the D850's ISO and burst rates, the best option is a second D850.

View attachment 1635219
View attachment 1635220
Good points all. I have no horse to back in this race - if that is what this is as I own neither camera but these image comparisons may take on another dimension if people stop looking at screen comparisons at whatever zoom ratio they choose and actually make prints.
The effect of printing is usually twofold. First noise is nowhere near as apparent in print as seen on screen. Second resolution appears improved in print - as long as data handled correctly. Similar but much smaller effect can be seen with high res monitors

There have been times I've used my D5 instead of my D850 for things like portrait shoots, because no camera has ever felt as good in my hands as the D5 has.

I was perfectly happy with using the D5 for portraiture, and in low light, I feel more secure with the focus of the D5

Real Name
Colin Carter
D5 files look great to me
If you live at 64 keep the d850
After a few hundred iso points the D5 kills the d850
Past 1600 and it’s ridiculous
remember though that for comparison you need to resize the d850 files down to 20mpixel like the d5 and then I think you will find them very similar at the same iso with the d850 retaining slightly more detail In some tests. Give it a try.

Real Name
Randy
remember though that for comparison you need to resize the d850 files down to 20mpixel like the d5 and then I think you will find them very similar at the same iso with the d850 retaining slightly more detail In some tests. Give it a try.
Interesting, I didn’t know that
And then there’s the AF and handling
It’s an easy choice and I wish all choices were so easy

I agree and have used my D810 and D850 this way for some time to reduce the noise in high ISO images. But in low light with dynamic subjects, or action shots I grab my D5 for the better autofocus performance. Both bodies have a role in my shooting and I would not give up either.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom